Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Practicing Chopin's Op. 44 Polonaise  (Read 2876 times)

Offline motisy

• PS Silver Member
Practicing Chopin's Op. 44 Polonaise
on: September 08, 2019, 06:00:18 PM
Hi all,

I recently started practicing the Op. 44 Polonaise (in f#) and am running into a rhythmic issue in mm. 61 - 64.  That is, I'm not sure where the beats fall in the ascending f# melodic scale in the left hand, making it very difficult for me to practice.  When I get to the A in the left hand on beat 4 (if you subdivide into eighth notes) it feels like it's a beat or two ahead of the right hand.  Is the run intended to start on beat 2?  What's the best way to divide the beats up and to practice?

Offline aclaussen

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing Chopin's Op. 44 Polonaise
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:06 AM
I know what you're trying to say but pro tip you want to stop considering the eighth notes as "beats". They are "off-beats" and when you're counting out-loud or in your head it's better to count it as 1-and-2-and-3-and instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6. It may not seem important but this piece is like a waltz because it's meant to be felt in 3. but I'm willing to bet the way you count in your head and out loud WILL affect the sound and make it more rhythmically pleasing. (You may already be aware of this but wanted to say it just in case). When I was starting out I did the same thing though, something I learned after a while.

Using your terminology yes it's supposed to start on beat 2 (perhaps a more correct way is on the "and" of 1). The whole run in the left hand with those small little notes (as I see it on my score) lasts a quarter note. So that means you should be playing 5 notes in your left hand per eighth note.

This means the run starts slightly before the (A+C#) come in in the right hand.

Best way to practice is slowly. Make sure you got the left hand down 100% alone with metronome or counting out loud. If you're trying to put this together hands together before you can play that run fast hands alone it's probably not ideal.
Alexander Ngo Claussen
my music on spotify: https://spoti.fi/2r2OhaY
playing liszt:https://bit.ly/2QAzKhR

my book-https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Etudes-Complete-Exercises-Improvisation/dp/1949950913

Offline apmapmapm

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing Chopin's Op. 44 Polonaise
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:06:58 AM
I've attached a solution which seems perfectly doable and given the tempo - Tempo di Polacca - the scale will be moving much faster and not entirely perceptible as single notes but more as an arpeggio. Given the tempo and amount of notes, you're really dealing with 32nd notes which can be evenly distributed. My example is taken from my Henle edition bar 295 and I've set an example of how it is to be distributed for you.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert