Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Greatest of Bach's '48 Preludes & Fugues". or Well-Tempered Clavier.  (Read 45114 times)

Offline theodopolis

• PS Silver Member
... or Das Wohltemperierte Klavier.

What is the single highest point of the two books, for you?
Mine would be the E-Flat/D-Sharp Minor BWV 853 of Book 1.

The melancholy chords of the Prelude remind me of a rocking chair, steadily rocking back and forth. Then the Fugal subject is calm, with the same air of melancholy from the preceding movement.
Pure Genius.
Does anyone else here think the opening of Liszt's 'Orage' (AdP - Suisse No.5) sounds like the Gymnopedie from Hell?

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
My favorite is the prelude No. 21 from book 1 (I think Bflat major), as played by Glenn Gould (I love how he takes the liberty of slowly rolling the chords instead of just playing them as written -- not that it sounds bad as written, obviously... Keith Jarrett plays the chords as written, and it's still wonderful, but I personally find Gould's way more exciting and organic).

Prelude No. 15 in Book 2 is another favorite of mine. Actually, Prelude No. 15 in Book 1 is also fabulous.

My favorite fugues... No. 10 from Book 1, No. 2, from Book 1, No. 7 from Book 1.

But they're all so good anyway!
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
This is hard, there are so many excellent ones....

For favourite preludes i love #20 bk2 in a minor (this is beautiful :)), #21 bk 1 in Bb major and #17 bk 1 in Eb major (just because this was the first P & F i learnt!)

For favourite fugues #24 bk 2 in B minor, #20 bk 2 in aminor and #24 bk1 in B minor.

I guess my favourite has to be the A minor one by default!!....Its not that its particular hard.  I jlove the strident subject in the fugue....short and sweet!
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline Anton

• PS Silver Member
I agree the aminor P&F of book is very beautyfull I`m currently working on that one but no 1 in c maj and no 6 in dmin are also very nice to play although the fuge of the cmaj P can be a pregnant dog
kromtoon

Offline zemos

• PS Silver Member
This is hard, there are so many excellent ones....

For favourite preludes i love #20 bk2 in a minor (this is beautiful :)), #21 bk 1 in Bb major and #17 bk 1 in Eb major (just because this was the first P & F i learnt!)

For favourite fugues #24 bk 2 in B minor, #20 bk 2 in aminor and #24 bk1 in B minor.

I guess my favourite has to be the A minor one by default!!....Its not that its particular hard.  I jlove the strident subject in the fugue....short and sweet!
I loves the Am prelude&fugue from the 2nd book!! amazing... (:
Too bad schubert didn't write any piano concertos...

Offline johnnypiano

• PS Silver Member

This is an almost impossible task but, in order of liking (though I have probably overlooked some) are:

Book2  E major Fugue.  This is a hymn tune.  Very clever imitations.  It is like a 16th century motet and full of suspensions (50 in all).   Very moving.

Book2  D minor Prelude & Fugue.  The Prelude is unstoppably quick.
The Fugue’s subject and counter-subject are extremely expressive and so contrasted.  This is what really good counterpoint is all about.

Book2  E flat Fugue.  The prelude is a seriously massive three-section piece with lots of combining of themes.  The Fugue is light hearted but has lovely episodes and interesting modulations, and one very extended phrase half-way through.  I often wish I had composed this piece myself.

Book 1 Prelude & Fugue in B flat minor  Very expressive throughout.

Book 2 Prelude in G sharp minor  Perky rhythm, interesting harmonies.  Compare the harmonies of the ending with those at the end of Chopin’s C sharp minor Study Op.25!

.Book1 C sharp minor Fugue  A very grim triple fugue.  Menacing, discordant.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member

Book2  E major Fugue.  This is a hymn tune.  Very clever imitations.  It is like a 16th century motet and full of suspensions (50 in all).   Very moving.

It's probably my favorite as well, though I can't decide there are so many masterworks in the WTC...

Fugues in D major, C" major and Eb Major from book II are quite great. Same for the Fugue in C from book I (and its prelude is nice also, although it's "overplayed" but I don't care about that kind of consideration).

By the way, I strongly recommend Dutch pianist Ivo Janssen's recording of the WTC. He's more or less unknown and I think it's a big shame.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline nivyehuda

At first, I belive the preludes and fugues should be considered solely as pairs, unparted, for regarding a specific prelude means regarding its companioning fugue, and vice-versa.
The h moll (or b minor) of book I is, in my opinion, unequally complex in content and scale, showing full development of a chromatic subject (of the fugue) and of many sequences appearing in both the prlude and the fugue.
The prelude, written in trio sonata form, contains a "walking bass" and a two-part invention in the upper voices. The fugue, quite revolutionary for his time, with its subject containing all 12 tones of the chromatic scale , and contrasubject which develops throughout the different expositions just like a schoenberg theme.
studying the piece enables us to look deeper into ot and enjoy the masterpiece even more!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
In my opinion, each and every work from the WTC is equally wondrous. There are no duds. All of them are the greatest!

We must not single out any in particular! The truly responsible keyboard player must familiarize herself with all 48!

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Prelude: G# minor Book II
Fugue: C# minor Book I

Offline nivyehuda

In my opinion, each and every work from the WTC is equally wondrous. There are no duds. All of them are the greatest!

We must not single out any in particular! The truly responsible keyboard player must familiarize herself with all 48!

That's true! Each Prelude and Fugue has its own unique taste, being perfect in its own way!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
I'm with awesom_o here; the best of them - and my favourites among them - are the first 48...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Book 1:
1, 3, 4, 7, 10

Book 2:
f-sharp minor

But yeah, a good pianist should know all of them

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

I like his c# minor Fugue and the c minor Prelude. It's hard to believe Bach even composed these pieces.
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert