Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help Identifying Piece  (Read 1460 times)

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Help Identifying Piece
on: November 01, 2019, 11:44:54 AM
Since it was Halloween last night I watched a horror movie, in this case Black Christmas.

In the movie, there's a clip of a piano recital and I don't know what this piece is.  It sounds sort of like Messiaen, but also sounds American (or Canadian, since the film was shot in Canada).  Anybody recognize it?  It starts at 29:44

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help Identifying Piece
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
I suspect it may be original by Carl Zittrer for the film, he has the compositional chops to pull that off,citations and credits for a lot of stuff in that era can have holes , I recall seeing similar exact question asked on reddit, no answer .
He and Paul Zaza collaborated quite a bit for these projects it seems.
Zittrer seems to have a Twitter might just ask him, from a practical standpoint I see no copyright or royalty litigation ever mentioned and without crediting it I can only surmise that Zittrer is credited for the score and thus that cool piece
Again might ask him if he replies I think his twitter is legit , might see if Zaza is still alive and maybe reach our and ask him again he may have done the playing for it and other parts of the score, ie they were involved w prom night the 70s slasher and there's a piano suite title in the o a t and I listened to some of it, different character but still sounded really good

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 04:44:52 AM
I don't have Twitter, do you mind asking?  I wonder if it's Sessions.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:32:41 PM
Right, that was Keir Dullea in one of the school's practice rooms, IIRC.  I can't look at the clip easily, but that must be it.  Fantastic movie.

I could have sworn I figured out whose composition (or maybe improvisation) it was a long time ago, but it's definitely not Messiaen.  And I definitely don't remember whatever conclusion I came to.

Anyway, I don't really "have" Twitter either, except for some account I no longer remember the login details for. 

But that's interesting enough to make me want to ask Zittrer myself.

Might get more of an "official" response if someone with the power to do like a group post from "Pianostreet.com"  I highly doubt the producers know or recall that kind of detail.  I don't remember the director's name, but if he or she is still around, could even be a better or equal source of information.  The editor might remember as well, or the sound designer.

My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert