Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Josef Suk's Piano Music  (Read 942 times)

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Josef Suk's Piano Music
on: November 03, 2019, 07:14:55 PM
Hello,

Josef Suk is a Czech 20th century post-romantic composer, a pupil of Antonín Dvořák and the creator of the famous "Asrael" symphony in C minor. Apart from the piece "Love song" though, his piano works seem very neglected and not rightfully so in my opinion.

I have been wondering - how do people in different parts of the world perceive his piano music? Do you have any experience with it? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Thanks

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Josef Suk's Piano Music
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:50:27 PM
One of my past teachers played a lot of Czech music, including that of Suk.  He would often play entire pieces for his students during lessons, to both introduce the music to us and also inquire our thoughts on them.  This was a common occurrence in the days leading up to a recital, when we would get a preview of the program, sometimes even a preview of world premieres. 

It is wonderful music, and a number of pieces are on my to do list. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Re: Josef Suk's Piano Music
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:32:39 PM
(...) his piano works seem very neglected and not rightfully so in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, old chap! Mostly I've played his "Lullabies", "About mother" and "Life and Dreams" and I've enjoyed them so much. Reminds me of Walter Niemann's music, another rather neglected composer, I think, and quite unrightfully so, as well. They've both got a particular kind of "magic" to them that is up there alongside the best of Grieg, Mompou and Bartók.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert