Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: In the mind's wild countryside  (Read 1027 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
In the mind's wild countryside
on: November 14, 2019, 09:53:09 AM
This month I am back to posting a shorter segment, degraded a bit to fit into 50mb. This one could be construed as a ramble through the dark and remote areas of the psyche, represented as a landscape. On the other hand it might have something to do with those visionary dreams wherein one perceives impossibly monstrous sea and land features, which are yet endowed with intense and unforgettable beauty and, stranger still, sensations of compelling familiarity. 
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: In the mind's wild countryside
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:48:10 AM
The first thing that popped into my head when listening to this are the paintings of Lawren Harris. I hear a common thread that spans this entire improvisation - it did not seem like a ramble at all. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:54 PM
Thanks for listening Neil, I had to look up Harris on the internet. His paintings are very pleasing and I was amazed how close his abstracted landscape style was to that of Don Binney, the New Zealand painter. The only difference was that Binney was obsessed with birds. It makes me wonder if he was influenced by Harris.

Yes, it is still a mystery to me how organic form develops unconsciously within a long improvisation. It might simply be that a state of critical mass emerges with the huge amount of musical and playing data in the brain over a lifetime. I know that, at seventy-two, I don't think much at all about what I am playing, at least compared with improvising in my earlier life. Things just seem to happen which I only perceive while listening later on, sometimes much later on. I also delight in the absolute freedom of the listener to place whatever personal associations he likes on my sounds, that is part of the magic of music, it seems to me.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:43 AM
Amazing, Ted! I can imagine someone riding on horseback through villages somewhere in Northern Europe, while there is some kind of conflict, but not a full-scale war going on. I'm surprised by how specific the imagery is.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:22:11 PM
Amazing, Ted! I can imagine someone riding on horseback through villages somewhere in Northern Europe, while there is some kind of conflict, but not a full-scale war going on. I'm surprised by how specific the imagery is.

Thanks for listening. I always take pleasure in the variety of images and associations my music triggers in the minds of listeners. Some people, perhaps most, find reassurance in fixed, universal meanings but I cannot operate that way. Even the same piece varies in its effect on me from one listening to the next. You have reminded me it is time to post another. I am faced with a surfeit of choice this month having recorded about twenty hours.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert