Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: 7 blues piano licks for educational purposes  (Read 811 times)

Offline behdad

• PS Silver Member
7 blues piano licks for educational purposes
on: December 06, 2019, 10:55:06 PM
Hi! I'm a composer and pianist and I made these seven licks to show the most important aspects of blues piano. There are slow motions in this video as well to make it easier to follow. I'm working on PDF notations and hope can provide them soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8UwlC9o4Hc

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Re: 7 blues piano licks for educational purposes
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:16 AM
If this is educational, then I think it would make more sense if the slow version were actually played slowly, and if you took the time to do so.  As it is, you have slowed it down using software, and this changes the pitch.  We see C being played, but hear E a sixth below (for example).  Sound and vision should match.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: 7 blues piano licks for educational purposes
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 02:03:27 AM
Well, I don't necessarily want to pile on the OP, I'm certainly not going to download some random video for some lolz.

What's the notes, why didn't the OP transcribe it into standard notation, and why should I look at it?

Yeah, I play blues piano, but I already have all the records I need, and I already copied everything I needed twenty or thirty years ago, so what is this?

ETA Kenny Drew's piano on the Jackie album calld Bluesnik.  I don't know more of a "method" than just doing KD's stuff (mix of bebop lines and blues), and all the other albums.  What's so hard about jazz or blues piano?  The recordings exist, so just get used to the "pause" button, and start playing.  Rinse and repeat.   

EETA, I think my response was a bit hostile, and now that I had the chance to view the video (BTW, I don't think it's good practice to slap a link to a video without any corroborating details:  obviously it's not impossible to view AV links for anyone with modern equipment, but peoples' mobile connections aren't always superfast or one isn't near a wifi hotspot).

Yeah, you play well, and that's always nice to observe.

I can't tell you how to do a teaching video, but you might think about focussing each little trick into a context.  There's probably some geeks who would be like "ZOMG it's like Pokemon and Pikachu, I'll collect all seven!" but the way I'd present it is more like, "Let's say we're in Bb, and the vocals come in after four bars, and it's a quick-change blues:  so, here's some options for the LH, and here's how and why you'd play a fill to complement the vocalist, while giving a nod to the guitarist to let him or her know what you're doing, while also smiling at the drummer so he can get ready to complement your fills."

Something like that:  for each tune/lick.  And in different keys. 

I don't get a lot of mileage out of "essential patterns for blues playing," because IMHO in the real world, we're playing songs, even if they happen to be blues songs.

So it needs context.

My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert