Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Czerny piano concertos  (Read 1059 times)

Offline gep

Czerny piano concertos
on: February 06, 2020, 05:22:58 PM
Since I cannot find a thread about these, I do wonder if any members of the Forum have perhaps listened to and formed an opinion about the several Czerny Piano Concerti currently available (Naxos has several available). I knew of his Concerto in a minor and his Concerto for piano ŕ quarte mains, but there are apparently several other concerti, at least two from when he was just about 20.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573688
and
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573998
NB: the op. 210&213 are in fact one work!

Here perhaps an interesting vid about the recording of the better known Concerto in a minor

Over the years, I've gathered several Czerny recordings, and while his music is a bit pale compared to the best of Beethoven and Schubert, much of what I've heard is well worth listening to; I like especially his 6th Sonata in d minor (a vast piece in 6 movements lasting some 50 minutes), and there is a equally huge early symphony.

Any comments?

All best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Czerny piano concertos
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:25:47 PM
As an inveterate collector, preserver and scanner of mainly 19th century Romantic piano concertos, Thalbergmad is the first such member to come to my mind; perhaps he'll reply!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:34:34 PM
There is certainly more to him than a composer of etudes and exercises, but he almost wrote too much for his own good.
Several of his shorter works for piano and orchestra are delighful (Haydn Variations for instance), but on longer works, the high register tinkling wears a bit thin after a while and the inability to develop an interesting theme makes them less appealing that the shorter works.
Herz, Kalkbrenner and Moscheles do it rather better whilst being cut from a similar cloth.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:53:00 PM
There is certainly more to him than a composer of etudes and exercises, but he almost wrote too much for his own good.
Several of his shorter works for piano and orchestra are delighful (Haydn Variations for instance), but on longer works, the high register tinkling wears a bit thin after a while and the inability to develop an interesting theme makes them less appealing that the shorter works.
Herz, Kalkbrenner and Moscheles do it rather better whilst being cut from a similar cloth.
Good points all!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:47:17 AM
I'm a bit of a Czerny enthusiast since I have a thing for "exercise pieces".

Surely you are aware of the Concerto in A minor, which is plain crazy (it has practically every classical-type technique in it).

Some works I like:

Stephen Hough - Variations on a Viennese Waltz
Daniel Grimwood - "La Consolacion" (Nocturne)

A couple of "monster etudes" that I think are musical enough to be worth performing:

These are of a sufficient complexity I believe to be substituted with, or partnered to, the prime etudes of Liszt/Alkan. They're not as harmonically modern, but the virtuosity and brilliance is there. Also, I think the above two were sped-up recordings.

I like the Piano Sonatas Nos. 3, 6, 9, 10, and 11 generally. The last Sonata does sound pretty mature, as if Czerny finally succeeded in making real music.

Sonata No. 11 in Db Major, Martin Jones (1st movement)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert