Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mrs Davies is watching (second half)  (Read 623 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Mrs Davies is watching (second half)
on: February 08, 2020, 01:55:25 AM
Improvisation for February.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mrs Davies is watching (second half)
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:43:16 AM
As to who Mrs Davies is, or where she is I have no clue.  However, I can imagine her vigorously pacing about at risk of wearing out her floors.  In her space is a world filled with captivating characters that surround her, as she looks out the window at something.

Or maybe she is flying through a rain forest on a boat with wheels using her hot air balloon to collect water in order to complete her oil painting.

I liked the progression from about 17:00 to 18:00.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mrs Davies is watching (second half)
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:28 AM
...In her space is a world filled with captivating characters that surround her, as she looks out the window at something.

I liked the progression from about 17:00 to 18:00.

Thanks for listening Neil, you are actually spot on. As you know, my titles are usually Satiesque nonsense, merely personal associations for me so I can have some chance of remembering where a given musical section resides among the huge heap of recordings. Mr and Mrs Davies were my parents' neighbours when I was a child. They were a delightful old couple but didn't really have sufficient to do with their time. Mrs Davies used to sit at their front window overlooking the street much of the day and peer at people and their activities. She didn't hide, and waved at everybody passing by. Of course the music has nothing to do with this at all really.

Ten years ago I used to notice occasions in my playing which contained the illusion of two or more independent but simultaneous streams and wonder how I had done it. It is beginning to happen all the time now and has become more or less a feature without my trying. The section you mention is one such episode. Pleased you like the effect.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert