Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bar 27 of Revolutionary  (Read 960 times)

Offline tunneller

Bar 27 of Revolutionary
on: February 12, 2020, 10:03:01 PM
The RHS has Eb-F-A-D eliding into C and then D-F-Bb on the next bar.

Any advice on how to finger that first chord? I can make it if I put my wrist below the keys and kind of reach up from the underside of the piano. That's 1-2-3-5. And I need to bend the 2nd finger back towards the thumb to stop from hitting F#. Somehow I don't think that is correct...

Offline andrew_s

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bar 27 of Revolutionary
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:55:35 PM
Playing the passage exactly as written in your score seems really awkward because your hand is slightly too small.
If, depending on your age, there is any hope that your hand will grow or you can do some stretching excercises that give you the extra millimeters you need, I suggest that you temporarily go for a practical solution.
The top D is tied from the previous chord in some editions. So you only need to hold it. But, since there is a lot going on in left hand and also you use pedal, it will hardly be noticable if you just release the top D while playing Eb-F-A.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bar 27 of Revolutionary
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 06:46:27 AM
1-2-3-5.

No need to bend your 2nd finger.  Play 1 and 5 close to the end of the black keys, not the edge of the white keys, with fingers 2 and 3 deep in the spaces between the black and white keys.  Finger 2 doesn't have to avoid touching F#, you can touch the side of the black key without playing it.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert