Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Any ideas about Harmony Composition and piano lessons from distance Coronavirus?  (Read 567 times)

Offline this_is_nicolas

• PS Silver Member
Living in Athens Greece, due to Coronavirus I stopped standard piano and Harmony/composition lessons because contact with my teacher is hazardous and contrary to  Rules of Emergency plan issued by the Authorities in order to lessen virus outbreak fatal events and loss of life.

With viber shareware I could split the page of my laptop so that my teacher can see me and the Sibelius 7 pieces I harmonize. If she sees me, she doesn't listen the music. Sibelius does not allow both of us to listen or if the teacher listens to the music in the chords I harmonized  I can't see her.

On the other hand, piano playing, is not like playing saxophone. She has to look every little detail of the piece I look and exacly what every little finger is pressing at, at the right  pitch, time etc. It seems impossible to do it even she has eagle eyes, and no laptop or iphone can have such an accurate resolution even with a perfect internet providor (which is not good anyway).

So I give up with piano lessons and I give up with Sibelius since I can only export Sibelius to pdf format.

I am an old man, and due to the virus I stay at home, as the Measures rule out, it is no use to try to learn new methods to inprove communication at distance with the teacher. So I continue with harmony with no interaction with my teacher, with the exception with the remarks my teacher makes through Viber  shareware in my tablet.

Do you have any suggestion?