Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: La Campanella - whole piece - practice sections by an amateur  (Read 1515 times)

Offline stylerpiano

Dear Forum mates! 

I know that it's a very hard piece and not for amateurs, but I'm very happy because I finally finished the memorizing of La Campanella from Franz Liszt. I memorized all the parts and now I will practice the sections in this video.

In the next months I will practice the piece to achieve the final result. I will practice the dynamic. I hope that I will be able to play the whole piece in normal tempo few months later  I have been playing the piano for 5 years now.
It's just a practicing video, a blog post.  :)

I would be happy to get useful advices, that what are the next steps to achieve the final goal, what tempo do you reccomend to practice the piece, etc.?

Offline attempt3

• PS Silver Member
NICE JOB

DONT GIVE UP YOU GOT THIS:)

Offline stylerpiano

:) I think nobody should give up his dreams about playing the piano. We are not proferssionals and of course we will not be able to play this as professionals.

Offline stylerpiano

Basicly I uploaded this video because I would like to get some advice like better fingering or something else which could be useful to make things easier.

For example on other forum I got this advice:

"For fast chromatic passages at 5:06 I suggest you use the Liszt's chromatic scale fingering. Put 1 on E and proceed as
123-1234-123-1234 and return down similarly with 3 on E and 321-321-4321-321.

At 5:57 and similar use 1-3-5-3 fingering.

You might try playing black octaves with 1-4 fingering, while playing white octaves with 1-5.

Again at all costs avoid tensing your fingers, hand, wrist, arm, shoulders."

It was a very helpful advice to use Liszt's chromatic scale fingerings, because the chromatic scale became a lot more faster.

Offline stylerpiano

What do you think which is the correct tempo for the piece?

In the schore it's marked as Allegretto ~120bpm. But In some dictionary I can read that pianists play it in many different tempo, te range is wide.

Offline dogperson

What do you think which is the correct tempo for the piece?

In the schore it's marked as Allegretto ~120bpm. But In some dictionary I can read that pianists play it in many different tempo, te range is wide.

Why you don’t listen to a large variety of performances and decide what is your own preference?  I would urge you, however, to let musicality be your primary concern over speed.  Work on phrasing and dynamics at whatever speed you play; if you lose those components if you play faster, cut the speed back

One of the comments you received on the ‘other’ forum is that it sounds like a series of exercises.  Start working on that.

Offline stylerpiano

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I recorded this practice session one week earlier. I do the things you have mentioned in your post too. So today I recorded a new video, I played the piece from start to end, I will upload it here soon. I think it's better and better. Now I can play the whole piece in a comfortable temo.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert