Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Trying to decide what to work on next! Input is appreciated!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline smuffs

• PS Silver Member
     Hello! I am new to this forum so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong board. Please let me know if one of the other ones fits my post better. I recently finished up some repertoire I had been working on for the last 8 months or so. To give you a bit of my taste, this included Berceuse, The Appasionata, and a transcription of Hiromi Uehara's "Tom and Jerry Show". It's been a ton of fun but I'm looking to tackle something different.

I recently decided on La Campanella because it just seemed like a ton of fun. My question is I'm looking for what to work on along side it. At first I was dead set on Chopin op. 10 No. 4  but at a second glance this thing is an absolute monster and seems pretty scary. I will probably work on it after this set. This leads me to decide between His First and Fourth Ballades. I don't really plan on performing these publicly so thinking of it as a set isn't at all important. I had originally leaned towards the first one but the fourth ones seems more...Complete? I am asking for your experiences with either and the things that you learned or appreciated more after playing them. Thank you so much!

Offline joe_mama

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trying to decide what to work on next! Input is appreciated!
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:22 PM
Honestly, it's really up to you. Both are great pieces, and you're obviously a very skilled pianist.

Play whatever one you enjoy listening to more.

Offline ttortaro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:21 PM
1st Ballade is surely most virtuosistic and technically harder than 4th. In the other side, 4th has a lote of counterpoint and it's very complex. I'm studying 1st, and believe that coda it's extremely hard, but very pleasant when you play it well. You could try also barcarolle, or some rondo.

P.S. If you do really like the étude, go on and get focused on it! You will certainly can play it.

Offline smuffs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:17:39 PM
Is the 1st Ballade really more technical? The 4th one seems pretty hard. I also haven't found a recording of the 1st ballade coda section that I found to be pleasing. So far my favorite has been Zimmerman but the end always feels off. Do you have any recommendations?

Offline ttortaro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:37 PM
When I said pleasant is in the way that you feel like you've done a good job.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert