Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Which book can I find Liszt's Valse Impromptu and Grand Galop Chromatique?  (Read 891 times)

Offline charles_pianist

• PS Silver Member
I'm looking for a good edition with these pieces the only one i saw was Peter's edition. Many were saying Peters' (edited by Sauer) is really bad, but aside from them is there a good edition with those pieces or is Peters' edition good enough?

Thanks in advance

Offline afarmboysforte

I'm sure I'll be attacked for saying this, but Dover  :o has a collection of pieces titled "mephisto waltz and other works for solo piano" or something like that if memory serves right. This has a collection of less common pieces as well as more standard fare, including the pieces you are looking for. I personally find cheap editions to work fine for liszt pieces, though I splurge for the henle/barenreiter for other composers. The notes tend to all be there, not many squabbles about whether something is an a or a-flat, so I didn't spend much for that score in my collection. Then again, since I have young eyes, I don't mind reading the sometimes frighteningly crowded scores of Dover. Peters for liszt is what I have all of his bigger pieces as (TE, Dante, sonata, etc) so I find nothing wrong with peters if that's what you wanna go for.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert