Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Virtuosic Baroque piece / University Audition  (Read 1172 times)

Offline ellarosie

• PS Silver Member
Virtuosic Baroque piece / University Audition
on: April 03, 2020, 02:53:21 AM
Hello everyone:)

I've been searching for a virtuosic Baroque piece that I can play for my University Audition in October. The rest of my prgramm will be:
Mendelssohn Fantasy op. 28
Baroque piece(s)
Beethoven Appasionata sonata, op. 57

I was thinking of Bach Italian Concerto and French Ouverture, but since Mendelssohn op. 28 and Beethoven op. 57 are such dark and tragic pieces, I do prefer something more delight and positv-energetic pieces. Maybe some pieces written by Scarlatti, Rameau, Couperin...??? If you have any good suggestions, please let me know!!!!! 

Offline rachlover23

• PS Silver Member
Re: Virtuosic Baroque piece / University Audition
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:58:11 AM
hi Ellarosie

have you considered any of the Goldberg variations? although quite difficult, it would showcase to the university your ability to handle very technical and musically challenging   music. maybe just take the first 5 if there is a limit to the duration of the piece.

good luck

Offline andrewuk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:55:56 AM
How about this one?

Offline ellarosie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:43:38 PM
Thank you guys!! :D

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 02:58:59 AM
I started reading through this the other day as a work to add to my lit w my teacher probably in Fall
Its a blast
She plays it blindingly fast here , the tempo is growing on me but dang that would be a bugger to get it to that tempo , such a cool neglected work , and me if the composer is obscure or work ignored I almost immediately drawn to it lol
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert