Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Simple and compound meters - I'm confused  (Read 557 times)

Offline linglingwannabe

• PS Silver Member
Simple and compound meters - I'm confused
on: April 03, 2020, 04:19:51 PM
 In musical notation, there are many ways to represent the same sound (ex.: two half notes = one whole note etc.). Conversely, each time signature can be classified into a certain meter, meaning it has a specific number of beats, which can be broken down in a certain number of notes, forming duples, triples, quadruples and etc.
 But take 6/8 time, for example: it can be represented as 6 8th notes, two dotted quarter notes (forming a compound duple) or as 3 quarter notes (forming a simple triple). Are there any differences when you play each of these forms on the piano?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Simple and compound meters - I'm confused
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:38:51 PM
Sure there are differences. In your 6/8 example, you'll feel the rhythm differently if count count two beats to the measure, as opposed to 6; counting 6 eighth notes will tend to make your playing kind of square and not very fluid. So then imagine you are counting 2 beats (ie a beat is a dotted quarter) to the measure and you switch to counting 3 beats to the measure (ie a beat is a quarter), you'll have a hemiola, and you'll definitely feel the difference. The eighth notes will still each get the same amount of time, but the pulse will feel very different.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:59:06 PM
But take 6/8 time, for example: it can be represented as 6 8th notes, two dotted quarter notes (forming a compound duple) or as 3 quarter notes (forming a simple triple). Are there any differences when you play each of these forms on the piano?

Three quarter notes in a time signature of 6/8 is an example of horizontal hemiola. 

Regardless of what instrument it is being played on, there is a difference in how this sounds.  Compound duple has has two beat groupings per bar, with each group subdivided into three.  Simple triple has three beat groupings per bar, with each group being subdivided into two. 

The differences are where emphasized beats are placed and how you subdivide the main beats. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
Three quarter notes in a time signature of 6/8 is an example of horizontal hemiola. 

Regardless of what instrument it is being played on, there is a difference in how this sounds.  Compound duple has has two beat groupings per bar, with each group subdivided into three.  Simple triple has three beat groupings per bar, with each group being subdivided into two. 

The differences are where emphasized beats are placed and how you subdivide the main beats.

I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say that's one of the best explanations I've heard.

I'll be borrowing your style when, for example, trying to say how 12/8 is to be played.

It's pretty difficult to explain in words.  Easy to play or feel, perhaps, but it's difficult to explain. 

But you managed, and I would say very well.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert