Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [VIDEO] Rachmaninoff: Etude-Tableau Op. 39 no. 1  (Read 1332 times)

Offline chrismaninoff

• PS Silver Member
[VIDEO] Rachmaninoff: Etude-Tableau Op. 39 no. 1
on: April 06, 2020, 09:38:19 PM
Hi Everyone!  I'm new here so greetings and salutations from Montreal, Canada. 

This is a piece I'm recording and sending to grad schools for my auditions.  I feel as though it is one of my strongest recordings, and I'm looking to hear your thoughts.  I suppose I have three main questions (though feel free to answer some or none of them if you prefer!):

1) Is it clean enough to use to market myself or should I go for a cleaner take first?  I sometimes play recitals for small recital series and I want to have a video that could be used to market those concerts, as an 'example' of my playing.  Does this present me as a technically competent pianist, in your opinion?
2) Is there anything that doesn't make musical sense to your ears?  I like most of what I do, but I'm curious if there are any places where consensus would disagree with me.  Please reference time stamps or bar numbers as that will be most helpful!
3) What do you think is the biggest weakness with this playing, especially considering this as an audition for grad school?

Accompanist and private piano teacher, poetry hobbyist, aspiring gourmet porridge chef.

www.christopherknopppianist.com

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Re: [VIDEO] Rachmaninoff: Etude-Tableau Op. 39 no. 1
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:27:59 AM
Hi Chris, welcome to Piano Forum!
I really enjoy your playing!
My answer to your first question would be:

It's certainly clean enough, and presents you as a technically super-competent pianist. However, for a 'concert marketing example', I was wondering if you should try and produce something that is more concert-like, if you know what I mean. The sound in your video is incredible, but it looks pretty dull. Excellent for an audition tape, where hopefully the jury looks beyond ugly microphone cables and whatnot, and focus entirely on your technical prowess and musical understanding.

I had a look at your web-site, and to give you a notion of what I mean (and to point out that it doesn't actually have to be so very different) I liked the Berg video better from that point of view. There are visible microphones there as well, and insufficient light, but somehow I think it gave me a better view of you as a performer.

Offline chrismaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 03:20:06 PM
Thanks for the tip and for saying that I sounded competent!  I appreciate it.  I would love to have a nicely shot video to show... I'll make that a priority once the lockdown ends over here!  :) 
Accompanist and private piano teacher, poetry hobbyist, aspiring gourmet porridge chef.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:55 PM
Astounding playing. Effortless grace and power. Mechanically this was well within your capacity so you could concentrate on the music.
I feel you could have a future. You are probably 60 years from your peak lol
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:53 AM
What thalbergmad says!

And what wonderful music (as indeed are all of Rachmaninoff's Études-Tableaux)!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline chrismaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 04:37:48 AM
I agree, these etudes are wonderful music.  I have played the second one as well and think it is one of the most gorgeous pieces ever! 

And thanks for the compliments!  I'm humbled.  Open to any feedback you might have as well! 

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 06:14:51 AM
Whatever you are doing, i suggest you keep doing it.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline sachmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:23 PM
Hi Chris!

Very tough piece! :)

One thing I'd do differently is that place that comes in around 0:25 (chord passage): I wouldn't go so straight to that, I'd highlight that place more, it does like flow away now. I recommend you to listen to Lugansky's recording, it's an unbelievable one!

- Samuel
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert