Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: How is this note to be played  (Read 1120 times)

Offline abhishekchanda

How is this note to be played
on: April 10, 2020, 01:18:28 PM
Hi,

I was going through the score of op 10 no 4 Etude by Chopin out of curiosity. I wanted to know, how are the eighth notes played. I am referring to the bar 4 onwards. Is this note to be held through the next sixteenth note?

Thanks

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: How is this note to be played
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 05:52:40 PM
I'm not sure. If the pedal indications are original, then you might think it would not matter, since the sound will carry till the pedal change anyway. But I can think of two possibilities. The first is that Chopin wants you to hold those notes down because it will guide the way you strike the upper note, and will be different from the way you would strike it if you released that eighth as though it were a sixteenth. The second is that it's a way to signal that he wants you to bring out the inner voice/line implied by those eighth notes.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 01:15:49 AM
It's accented underneath. i think honestly he was just making absolutely clear those particular notes have to sound stronger and the feeling of them carrying sound a little longer then the other 16th notes.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:30:46 PM
Since those notes are eighth notes, you hold it through the note following it.

Offline thirtytwo2020

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 01:37:52 PM
it's a way to signal that he wants you to bring out the inner voice/line implied by those eighth notes.

he was just making absolutely clear those particular notes have to sound stronger and the feeling of them carrying sound a little longer then the other 16th notes.

In other words, he is notating how he wants it to sound. How you actually do it - solve it from a technical point of view - is open to discussion, and may depend on your physique, the instrument you're playing on etc.

I think most people would find it very tricky, and perhaps unnecessary, to hold all of these eighth notes all the way through their sixteenth-note neighbors.   

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:58:57 PM
I think most people would find it very tricky, and perhaps unnecessary, to hold all of these eighth notes all the way through their sixteenth-note neighbors.

I would try to hold it but it's not very necessary. They have to be emphasized though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert