Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Stephen Hough 'Valse Enigmatique'  (Read 920 times)

Offline williamhu

• PS Silver Member
Stephen Hough 'Valse Enigmatique'
on: April 20, 2020, 02:16:29 PM
Hiya everyone! I've read through the forums here a lot over the years (mainly for the fervent discussions of Medtner, my favourite composer) and now I've finally made myself an account :)

I thought I'd start off by sharing a recording I've just done (not a super serious performance!) of a super charming and hilarious little piece by Stephen Hough, 'Valse Enigmatique' from his piano album.

It's a stilted romp through over-the-top fragments of Viennese waltz, with a vaguely improvisatory nature to the whole thing. I think it's a fun little unpretentious piece and I hope it makes you smile :)

Offline tripletrobot42

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stephen Hough 'Valse Enigmatique'
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:36 AM
Absolutely made me smile indeed! Thank you so much for sharing! Dude I practice too much serious music. I've been practicing the Beethoven Appasionata for so long that at this point any music that is light and playful and not depressing can sound almost jarring to me! So it's nice to sit back and just chill out, listening to some fun music.

Again, thank you so much!

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 08:22:30 AM
Nice playing!
I met him during a festival we both participated in (he was of course in the professional class, whereas I was in the young one). There he played one of his sonatas, and a Rumba as an encore. It's so stereotypically english to first do something so utterly serious, and then being silly right after.

Offline williamhu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 04:33:42 AM
Glad you both enjoyed!
@pianoman53, wow, must have been cool to see him play! What festival was this?
And yeah, just judging from the pieces of his I’ve learned or played through, he has a fun sense of humour :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert