Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beginners repertoire  (Read 2006 times)

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Beginners repertoire
on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:48 AM
I'm thinking of putting together an edition beginner's repertoire, complete with recordings, to use in my own studio. I have a few things on my list but I'm interested to know what other people use for beginner students. What I choose for my edition has to meet three criteria;

1. It must be in public domain.
2. It must be suitable for students in their first year of lessons.
3. It must sound good.

I know no.3 is subjective but as long as it sounds good to you that's fine. I want to avoid the typical learning pieces which almost always are aimed at children and most of my students aren't children.

So far I've included some of my original music, plus some of Godowsky's educational music. There are also a few short pieces by Manuel Ponce, form his 20 easy pieces, and a few Bartok and Satie pieces.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beginners repertoire
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 03:56:06 AM
I'm thinking of putting together an edition beginner's repertoire, complete with recordings, to use in my own studio. I have a few things on my list but I'm interested to know what other people use for beginner students. What I choose for my edition has to meet three criteria;

1. It must be in public domain.
2. It must be suitable for students in their first year of lessons.
3. It must sound good.

I know no.3 is subjective but as long as it sounds good to you that's fine. I want to avoid the typical learning pieces which almost always are aimed at children and most of my students aren't children.

So far I've included some of my original music, plus some of Godowsky's educational music. There are also a few short pieces by Manuel Ponce, form his 20 easy pieces, and a few Bartok and Satie pieces.

Just saw this. Is there any way you could let me know if such a collection exists? I just realized it would be of immense help for learning sight reading.

I would love to contribute, but I have a very poor understanding of where students are in their first year of studies largely as I'm not a piano teacher myself.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 04:03:57 AM
I don't remember posting this :-[
I must have decided it was too much work. I think the "Classics to Moderns" series is quite good though. But it doesn't come with recordings unfortunately.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 04:49:52 AM
The difficult scenario is that everyone does something different and at a different rate. I can imagine breaking it down into more categories where you would estimate the % of people who could on average accomplish it. In the end however it will be too cumbersome. The repertoire of my 1st year students do have some similarities spotted here and there but it is ultimately a unique journey. What sounds good for one is hated by another, what is easy for one is not for the other.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert