Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How hard is grand polonaise brillante op.22?  (Read 871 times)

Offline arielfmiro

• PS Silver Member
How hard is grand polonaise brillante op.22?
on: May 12, 2020, 10:23:07 AM
Hi every one, I am 15 years old, I just finished 4th grade.

I have played first, and second ballades, the second scherzo, etudes op 10, 1, 4, and 12, and op 25, 12.
I would like to know if I could play Chopin’s grande polonaise brillante, it’s one of my favourite pieces, but I know it’s extremely difficult, so could you give me some advice?

Thank you :D

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Re: How hard is grand polonaise brillante op.22?
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:41 AM
It might be better to wait, as it's really a great test of your virtuosity and stamina.

However, there's nothing to stop you from getting started with studying it in a broader sense - getting to know more about the minute details and difficulties of it now will probably make you get there quicker.

Reading the music carefully, playing parts of it slowly, thinking about what the main technical issues are, discussing this with your teacher or some other knowledgeable person. If you really love the piece and can't wait, that's what I would suggest. But I think the more you can accept that it's going to take years to get it where you want, the better it will be in the end. 

Offline arielfmiro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 12:33:37 PM
Thank you very much for your advice, I think i’m gonna go with fourth balade and other chopin etudes first, and maybe, I will star reading it slowly.

Thank you very much

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:52:30 PM
Hi every one, I am 15 years old, I just finished 4th grade.

I have played first, and second ballades, the second scherzo, etudes op 10, 1, 4, and 12, and op 25, 12.

Why do you mention that you've finished 4th grade (piano I assume), when as per your post, you are playing LRSM/ARCT level pieces?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert