Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Returning pianist looking for some advice on repertoire - what should i play ??  (Read 1448 times)

Offline tkyxd_

• PS Silver Member
Hey everyone!

My parents signed me up for piano lessons since childhood, but unfortunately I did not develop much of an interest in the instrument, though I did reach a decent level, which is ABRSM Grade 8 . I understand Grade 8 is of course, not extremely advanced, but I'd say it definitely isn't beginner / low-intermediate level either. Since obtaining my ABRSM Grade 8 certification, I stopped lessons due to lack of interest, but now, a few years later I got back into playing some arrangements of the pop songs I like and eventually some classical repertoire. Now, playing for leisure, I hope to tackle at least some classical repertoire on my own, since I've grown to really enjoy classical music again.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what repertoire I could challenge myself with next. For reference, I am currently working on Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No.2 without much difficulties to start off on the slightly easier side, but I have played pieces such as Beethoven's Sonata Op. 14 No.2 and Chopin's Grande Valse Brilliante to a performance-ready level when I was still taking lessons.

Personally, I was thinking of tackling some of Beethoven's more difficult Sonatas, like the 3rd mvt. of Moonlight Sonata or Pathetique, although I'm unsure of whether these pieces would be too difficult technically for me. Ultimately, I hope to give Chopin's Etudes at least one shot, although I wouldn't be surprised if my technical ability is way below than what is required. 

Your advice on what repertoire I should play next would be greatly appreciated! 

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Hello,

I also stopped playing for a while and what worked for me was to mix new stuff with pieces I learned when I was younger. Those pieces help you to relax because you have mastered their difficulties in the past. Second advantage is you learn them much faster since they are still somewhere in your head. Really amazing. If you get bored just try another one that you played before. it turns out your old level will be back soon. Maybe you should not start with too difficult a piece as the results may be unsatisfactory and you might loose interest. Depends on your perseverance of course. Do not take a piece in the beginning that is too long. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Gert

Offline nootie_bootie

• PS Silver Member
Hi there!
Some of the Chopin Preludes are quite simple and they might be fun to learn. 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 15, and many others are rather pleasant-sounding as well as entertaining to play in my opinion. I'm not sure how old you are but some of the more simple etudes might be attemptable in a few years! I'd maybe try Op. 25 No. 5 (Black Key) or Op. 25 No. 2. to start. Good luck!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert