Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Need help picking repertoire  (Read 1323 times)

Offline saba1374

Need help picking repertoire
on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:33 PM
So I am new on piano street and firstly wanted to say hello!
I used to play the piano for 7/8 years as a kid and made my way up to grade 8. I then quit  ...
Quarantine has brought on some good things for me as I picked piano up again with an excellent teacher that I skype for now. The first piece I started was Chopin’s Raindrop Prelude and now I am just putting the final touches to it and thinking about the rest of the repertoire I want to build. Just as a indication of my level, I found this piece challenging to get the voicings etc just right, but not too difficult.
My favourite composer is Rachmaninov, and I used to play his melodie in e major, but unfortunately his pieces are a bit hard for me right now. I like rather sad/dark/chaotic pieces.
My current list of pieces I am considering are Debussy’s Reverie, Chopin’s nocturne in F minor. Also absolutely love Chopin’s Polonaise but think it might be too difficult again right now. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance  ;D

Offline dogperson

Re: Need help picking repertoire
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:54 PM
Ravel
Pavane pour infante definite
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUpQ5pCSOQ

Debussy girl with flaxen hair
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxJpPiFe0k

Bach adagio 974
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2x-OHljZzHQ

Offline nootie_bootie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 06:34:49 AM
Hello there! I'd suggest some other Chopin Preludes, No. 22 is quite dramatic and chaotic, so you might like it. All the Chopin Nocturnes are pretty nice too, I learned No. 15 but 1, 2, 11, 13, 19, and 20 are some of the more well-known ones.
Good luck!

Offline saba1374

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:11:08 AM
Great suggestions thank you guys!

Offline chateauferret

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:26:26 PM
Mozart. Fantasia in C minor K 475. Rondo in A minor K 511.
Schumann. Fantasiestuecke op 12, Aufsprung and In der Nacht.
Dussek. Piano sonata in F minor op 77.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert