Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Romantic/Impressionist Piece Suggestions  (Read 1150 times)

Offline nootie_bootie

• PS Silver Member
Romantic/Impressionist Piece Suggestions
on: June 05, 2020, 06:50:39 AM
Hello I'm new to Piano Street so I'm just going to say hi here :)
I'm looking for a few Romantic-era pieces that I can play after I move on from some of my current repertoire. My teacher told me on my Zoom lesson today after he heard my Liszt Sonnet that he's looking for more difficult Romantic pieces to give me and I can choose some on my own within a margin of reason (he stated specifically not to play Liszt's Mephisto Waltz... as if I would do that!). He also hinted on the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, and the 6 Paganini Concert Etudes arranged for piano by Liszt. I don't really want to play the Paganini/Liszt because I feel like the violin repertoire sounds better on the violin, and that I'm used to hearing the pieces on the violin instead.

Currently I'm working on:
- Chopin Preludes 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 21, 24
- Bach English Suite No. 3: Prelude, Allemande, Sarabande, Gigue (I want to learn the whole suite sometime soon)
- Mozart Sonata K. 284: movements 1 & 3
- Liszt Petrarch Sonnet no. 104 (Pace Non Trovo)

I think I haven't heard that many pieces from the Romantic era though, only the relatively famous ones for piano students and the ones that my teacher specifically tells me to listen to. Any suggestions for pieces?

Offline dogperson

Re: Romantic/Impressionist Piece Suggestions
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:58:05 AM
If you haven’t heard that many pieces from the Romantic period, why don’t you take some time and just listen to the piano music of Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Schumann?  We could list our favorite ones, but why don’t you find your own favorites?   Then explore post-romantic and impressionistic.

Offline nootie_bootie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:51:39 PM
Thank you for your suggestion! I'll look into some more pieces!

Offline pianoannieq

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:55:44 PM
Hi Nootie_bootie,

Chopin's ballades and scherzi are some of my favorites by him, check out his third sonata too! As for Liszt, I would recommend his Hungarian Rhapsodies. Some of them are very famous, but listen to some of them for they are great concert pieces. His ballades and Two Legends are difficult, but see if you like them. For post-romantic and impressionistic, listen to Debussy's Nocturne L. 82 and Scriabin's op. 11 preludes.

What pieces would you like to play? What types of pieces do you like? If you could give some context, I'd be happy to give out some other suggestions.
I hate music (and sarcasm) :)

Beethoven Sonata 18
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
Prokofiev Sonata 4 op.29
Scriabin Piano Concerto

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:10:45 AM
You could also try some of the later romantics. Chaminade, Bax, Bridge and Ireland come to mind.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert