Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Advice for learning Pavane pour une Infante Difunte  (Read 932 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Greetings,

Since the last days, I wanted to learn Ravel's Pavane because for some reason it became an earworm for me, and I understand that learning a Ravel's piece can be very complicated, but I am doing my best to upgrade my piano level.

Until now I have played the next pieces last semester:
- Bach's Sinfonia 6 and 7
- Mozart's Sonata in a minor k 310
- Armengol's Cuban Dances 3 and 8
- Debussy's Gradus ad Parnassum, the Little Shepherd, Jimbo's Lullaby and Golliwogg's Cakewalk.

I played in the past Ravel's Menuet sur le nom d'Haydn (not sure how I get it, but i got it and it also started as an earworm), Chopin's Nocturne op 9 no 1, Debussy's Reverie, Haydn's Sonata Hob XVI no 27 in G major, and Bach's Sinfonias 1, 2 and 4.

I am not sure if I am ready for the Pavane, but what I want to know is if I can learn it like in the traditional way like other pieces, playing it with hand-separate.

Tips, advice and suggestions are welcome.

Note: the distance of my fingers reach an octave and barely a 9th interval (C5 to D6)