Piano Forum

Matti Raekallio on the Piano Education Pyramid
Matti Raekallio is one of Finland’s best-known piano teachers, who taught at the Juilliard School in New York from 2007 until 2021. In this essay, shared by the Finnish music magazine Rondo Classic, he examines the condition and requirements of music education from that perspective. What does it take to get to the top? What does the influx of Asian musicians tell us? Read more >>

Topic: Advice for learning Pavane pour une Infante Difunte  (Read 910 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Greetings,

Since the last days, I wanted to learn Ravel's Pavane because for some reason it became an earworm for me, and I understand that learning a Ravel's piece can be very complicated, but I am doing my best to upgrade my piano level.

Until now I have played the next pieces last semester:
- Bach's Sinfonia 6 and 7
- Mozart's Sonata in a minor k 310
- Armengol's Cuban Dances 3 and 8
- Debussy's Gradus ad Parnassum, the Little Shepherd, Jimbo's Lullaby and Golliwogg's Cakewalk.

I played in the past Ravel's Menuet sur le nom d'Haydn (not sure how I get it, but i got it and it also started as an earworm), Chopin's Nocturne op 9 no 1, Debussy's Reverie, Haydn's Sonata Hob XVI no 27 in G major, and Bach's Sinfonias 1, 2 and 4.

I am not sure if I am ready for the Pavane, but what I want to know is if I can learn it like in the traditional way like other pieces, playing it with hand-separate.

Tips, advice and suggestions are welcome.

Note: the distance of my fingers reach an octave and barely a 9th interval (C5 to D6)
For more information about this topic, click search below!