\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Spam advertising (Read 686 times)

Offline dogperson

Spam advertising
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:08 AM »
There has been a proliferation of spam advertising.  Do you want this reported through the report button?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Re: Spam advertising
«Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
Yes, it is an increasing problem. Very few slip through all registration steps and manage to post their links, but when they do, it is very helpful if members click the "Report to moderator" link and report as "spam".

Do not reply to the spam post. That would just help the spammers by creating activity around their links.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:55:43 AM »
Damnit... some spam artists are beginning to get smart now - starting what seem like legitimate messages, and then later on throwing in their advertising links into the message:

What do you do if you're teaching someone on their birthday? Do you give the student a gift or do anything special? [DODGY HYPERLINK REMOVED] Or do you not acknowledge it at all? What's you're approach? I'm teaching s student later today and I know it's his birthday. This happens once in a while with my students, when they choose to take lessons on their birthday.

Hi there, this is one of my first posts on this forum, maybe the first on this page. Before I start, I want to make a full disclaimer that it is not my intention to make this another 'how hard is this piece' or another 'i'm starting chopin etudes after playing for a year only'. That is never my intention and I hope you don't take this post as another silly non-professional post as this is one of my heart's desires[DODGY HYPERLINK REMOVED]

Offline dogperson

«Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
There was a first time poster last week that posted a short blurb. barely related to the topic, and then linked to a piano learning app.  The problem?  It was not the general app link but one that went through another url first.  I assume so he could get credit for the ‘referral’.  Five posts in less than 10 minutes

Did I report them? Yes. Were  they removed? No
Makes me wonder what is the definition of spam.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 03:28:14 PM »
There are also a number of first time posters that have links in their signatures. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
Seriously... why the sudden spike in advertising? Why now, and what made Pianostreet the target after all these years?

Offline dogperson

«Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
Seriously... why the sudden spike in advertising? Why now, and what made Pianostreet the target after all these years?

Another new one:  app development pro