Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Spam advertising  (Read 2180 times)

Offline dogperson

Spam advertising
on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:08 AM
There has been a proliferation of spam advertising.  Do you want this reported through the report button?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Re: Spam advertising
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:29:36 AM
Yes, it is an increasing problem. Very few slip through all registration steps and manage to post their links, but when they do, it is very helpful if members click the "Report to moderator" link and report as "spam".

Do not reply to the spam post. That would just help the spammers by creating activity around their links.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:55:43 AM
Damnit... some spam artists are beginning to get smart now - starting what seem like legitimate messages, and then later on throwing in their advertising links into the message:

What do you do if you're teaching someone on their birthday? Do you give the student a gift or do anything special? [DODGY HYPERLINK REMOVED] Or do you not acknowledge it at all? What's you're approach? I'm teaching s student later today and I know it's his birthday. This happens once in a while with my students, when they choose to take lessons on their birthday.

Hi there, this is one of my first posts on this forum, maybe the first on this page. Before I start, I want to make a full disclaimer that it is not my intention to make this another 'how hard is this piece' or another 'i'm starting chopin etudes after playing for a year only'. That is never my intention and I hope you don't take this post as another silly non-professional post as this is one of my heart's desires[DODGY HYPERLINK REMOVED]

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:49:08 AM
There was a first time poster last week that posted a short blurb. barely related to the topic, and then linked to a piano learning app.  The problem?  It was not the general app link but one that went through another url first.  I assume so he could get credit for the ‘referral’.  Five posts in less than 10 minutes

Did I report them? Yes. Were  they removed? No
Makes me wonder what is the definition of spam.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 03:28:14 PM
There are also a number of first time posters that have links in their signatures. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:11:51 AM
Seriously... why the sudden spike in advertising? Why now, and what made Pianostreet the target after all these years?

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 11:38:52 AM
Seriously... why the sudden spike in advertising? Why now, and what made Pianostreet the target after all these years?

Another new one:  app development pro

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 02:57:29 AM
Okay - I've tagged a lot of spammers in the past few months and reported them to the great and almighty Nils... HOWEVER, there is clearly one thing in common. Almost EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM register, and within a few minutes - they've posted their idiotic crap and moved on.

I think we need to maybe initiate a rule that people can't post links at least for the first 48 hours or something. I think that would seriously put them off posting.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 03:00:02 AM
I think even 30 minutes or an hour might deter them. Something to think about.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 06:53:51 AM
I think even 30 minutes or an hour might deter them. Something to think about.

I don't, ONLY because I believe these people spend hours a day going through different forums so they can advertise. At least if they are forced to sleep - they may forget about which web-sites they signed up to the day before and leave it be.

Offline dogperson

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 08:26:12 AM
Ever paid attention to how long it takes s reported spam advertising to be actioned?  It takes many hours, sometimes up to a day. IMHO, that is incentive for the advertiser as their ad remains up fir quite a long time.

Decrease the time for action and the poster will have less incentive to create the account and post.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 01:04:51 PM
Yes, but Nils can't be at the computer every 3 minutes on the off chance spam is reported. I think that delaying links being posted for the first 24 hours will probably discourage a lot of spammers to post; and IF they are patient enough and still spam with their crap, then we know that Nils will do what he can to get rid of it when he gets round to it.

I think delaying the ability to post links for the first 24 hours will at least curb a lot of the spam.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 08:58:13 PM
In many forums, the first post has to be approved by a moderator before it can be seen by others members.
If the post was spam then the account could just be deleted.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 12:24:57 AM
In many forums, the first post has to be approved by a moderator before it can be seen by others members.
If the post was spam then the account could just be deleted.

That isn't a bad idea actually...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert