\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Temperature too high for the piano? (Read 170 times)

Offline jalouis

• PS Silver Member
Temperature too high for the piano?
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:05:20 AM »
Where I'm living, the temperature reaches up to 37 C (98 F) in hot summer days. The indoor temperature where the piano is placed maxes at around 33 C (91 F) about four to five hours a day without the AC on. Is this temperature acceptable, or would it cause long-term damage to my piano?
Free download guitar ringtones

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Temperature too high for the piano?
«Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
My understanding is that changes in humidity are more trouble than changes in temperature; my guess is that if you get a Dampchaser, or some other humidity regulating system that the temperature itself will not be harmful. But don't take my word on this alone.

Offline quantum

• PS Gold Member
Re: Temperature too high for the piano?
«Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
Temperature and humidity changes are what tend to cause problems, rather than a specific temperature.  What is the nighttime low temp in the room where the piano is?  Frequent temperature and humidity swings would likely shorten the time it is kept reasonably in tune. 

Get a thermostat / humidistat to put beside the piano and monitor both the highs and lows. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach