\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Talk to me about silent piano systems (Read 207 times)

Offline ohhenry97

• PS Silver Member
Talk to me about silent piano systems
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:09:00 AM »
Cost and feasibility of retrofitting to an upright piano? I'm wondering if this is an option worth considering. Do any of them have functionality that would rival a digital piano (different piano sounds, recording capability, etc.) or do they literally just output a piano sound to headphones? Thank you!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Talk to me about silent piano systems
«Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
Cost and feasibility of retrofitting to an upright piano? I'm wondering if this is an option worth considering. Do any of them have functionality that would rival a digital piano (different piano sounds, recording capability, etc.) or do they literally just output a piano sound to headphones? Thank you!

Well, I really can't answer definitively, but nobody else responded, so I can give my experience after trying at least a handful of uprights outfitted with this system, probably twenty years ago.

The ones I played, no, it was strictly acoustic piano sound, and while the acoustic part of the piano wasn't, obviously, completely silent, it was a specialty product made for people who live in apartments in a big city.

I didn't really test them extensively, just played a bit while I was passing through one of the major showrooms, which was often.

Yes, they're real pianos, only uprights that I saw, but they did what you'd expect.

It's very possible that the technology has advanced, but I'd suspect that ... I can't remember the name of the big company, I think it was French or Franco-Belgian ... people who want more digital features just used a digital.

HOWEVER, it's very possible to "MIDI-fy" any kind of keyboard instrument, so it can do whatever you want. 

I just don't know of a commercial company that does that kind of retrofitting on a production scale.  But then again, they already put in the MIDI sensor, so you could probably make it do whatever you want, or have somebody else do it, probably for not much money.

YMMV
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.