Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha GC1/GC2 vs Kawaii GL30 Grand piano  (Read 1671 times)

Offline francesm

• PS Silver Member
Yamaha GC1/GC2 vs Kawaii GL30 Grand piano
on: July 21, 2020, 11:29:35 PM
Hi everyone:

I'm the parent to two very competent pianists who I have promised to buy a grand piano. I have a budget  up to $25000 and am in Australia. I would rather buy new than try to guess at the condition/treatment of a second hand piano. I personally prefer the feel of the Yamaha but I'm not an advanced player.

The thing is, this will be the last piano I buy in my life. If my children don't have somewhere for it, it will become mine when they leave home.

Thoughts?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha GC1/GC2 vs Kawaii GL30 Grand piano
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:10:25 AM
Hi and welcome to Pianostreet.

There is no need to guess the condition of a piano, bring a piano tech to evaluate instruments you are interested in. 

A new piano is no guarantee that you will get an instrument in "perfect" condition.  It just means the piano has less history.   You will also be paying a premium for a new instrument. Pianos, new or previously owned, will still need tuning, voicing and regulation to get them to perform to your tastes.  Don't expect a new piano to immediately work to your requirements upon arrival at your home, it has to be worked on by a tech. 

Talk to your children about this.  What pianos do they like to play?  What would they like to have in a piano?  Since this will be a shared instrument, involve all parties in the discussion and search.

Play and evaluate many different pianos during your search.  That includes ones beyond your budget, as you can gain more perspective of what instruments are out there and how far your money is going while staying within budget. 

Don't count on it being your last piano.  Always leave the door open for opportunity.  You never know when an upgrade opportunity will present itself. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert