Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: How do I record my playin in a CD???  (Read 1870 times)

Offline vivacelife

• PS Silver Member
How do I record my playin in a CD???
on: January 31, 2005, 10:14:58 PM
I want to audition for a music program but they require a CD pre-screening.
What is the best way to record my playing in a CD?
 ;)
Phoebe

Offline Bartolomeo

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do I record my playin in a CD???
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:54:58 PM
There are many methods.

Method 1.  Contact a lower-cost recording studio and pay them to do it for you.  If you can play well enough to do it in one or two takes, this is fairly inexpensive.  Studio time runs around $80 an hour where I live, for less elaborate studios oriented towards solo work and smaller productions.

This will yield better results and can cost less than any other method, provided that you don't waste studio time with excessive takes.

Method 2.  Get a CD recorder and a microphone.  You would want a CD recorder such as the Marantz CDR 300, that has a microphone input and is designed for portable use.

Method 3.  Make a recording on cassette tape, or on a portable device such as an iRiver H340, or on a hard disk recorder, or on DAT, and transfer the recording to a CD using a computer.

Method 4.  Connect a microphone to the line input of a good quality sound card in your computer, and use the computer to make the CD.

You're looking at about $1000 of equipment to do a good job unless you get someone else to do it for you.  I have an iRiver and a nice condenser microphone and can get reasonably good recordings that way.  That's a $500 setup and I use a computer to make CDs.  I need the iRiver and the computer for other stuff, otherwise I'd find a cheaper way.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 12:38:44 AM
Method 5.  Search the forum; this has been discussed before...

Offline lilpep4ever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 03:09:42 AM
HEYY.....I THINK U SHOULD MAKE UR OWN IN UR COMPUTER. BUY PROGRAMS LIKE GARAGEBAND TO MIX YOUR OWN...
( ( * / / - -* - > > EARLY PIANO PLAYER < < - *- - / / * ) )

Offline Bartolomeo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 02:41:14 PM
Acutally, I think it has been some time since this has come up and the technology is changing quickly.

I will offer the observation that music disk (MD) is very close to being a dead format, and that it would be unwise to sink money into an MD recorder now.  At the same time, there are now less expensive hard disk and flashdisk recorders that offer everything that MD did.

Also, piano sounds far better when recorded in stereo.  Professional studios use two or more microphones.  I have had excellent results with a Sony stereo microphone that I got at a pawn shop, that is widely available for around $140.  Because it is small and light, I can use it in situations where a pair of large-diaphragm condenser mics would be impractical, like recording (my own) live performances, or people I accompany. 

I would like very much to get the Marantz hard disk recorder, but my iRiver gets the job done well enough for now.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert