Piano Forum

Topic: Piece should I learn next? Not sure what I'm ready for (self-taught). Thank you!  (Read 1475 times)

Offline blazered

• PS Silver Member
Hi! I've been pretty self-taught for two years and I'm almost done working on Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, but I don't know where to go now.

So I've mostly polished the Nocturne, Beethoven's Pathetique Mvt. 2, and a couple of more beginner pieces. What should I move on to? I'd prefer some "moving" pieces--as opposed to "happier" ones.

Some pieces I really love (they're way out of my league, but just to give an idea of the types of pieces I like) are Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 3 (Mvts. 1 and 3 especially!), Scherzo Op. 31, Etude Op. 25 No. 5 (especially the middle), Ballade Op. 23, Nocturne Op. 48 No. 1, and Scriabin's etude Op. 8 No. 12.

I'm trying to get a teacher after this pandemic, but who knows how long it's gonna last. Thank you all in advance!

Oh by the way, here's the Nocturne if anyone's able to give suggestions :)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Music journeys are quite various and personal. You should perhaps get a broader perspective of works which are much smaller and which you can learn quickly. As a music teacher I would have to take a number of lessons to understand your exact needs and depending if you wanted to study piano in a more professional manner or just as a hobby, or whatever other varying intensity of seriousness there is, the decision making process will thus be affected.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert