Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky - "None but the lonely heart" op. 6 no. 6 (Left hand transcription)  (Read 849 times)

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Although P.I. Tchaikovsky's songs (Romances) demonstrate their creator's genius as a melodist and his mastery of small lyrical forms, most of them (more than 100 in total) are virtually unknown outside his native Russia. In the belief that a big part of this neglection is due to their language (they are intended to be sung in Russian), I decided to (try to) transcribe some of them for the piano, hoping that they may reach a wider audience as piano solo pieces than in their original form: Songs without words - literally!

"None but the lonely heart" is perhaps Tchaikovsky's most well-known Romance, with super-starts like Frank Sinatra having recorded an english version of it, and having already being transcribed for solo piano, as well as violin, flute, cello, and organ(!) but still, it is fair to call it (widely) "unknown". Trying to make it more effective as a concert piece, I thought of infusing it with the subtle "transcendental" virtuosity of the left hand repertoire: An absolute economy of means to bring out its beauty, while (hopefully) making it somehow "new", and offering a different perspective on the original.

Hope you enjoy!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
wow i really enjoyed this, for the "lonely" left hand. would you be willing to share the score?
beautiful playng

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Thank you andhow04

Sure, I'd be happy to share it and even more to listen to it played by somebody else than me. Send me your email and I can send it to you.

:)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert