Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Stringed instruments versus Pianos  (Read 852 times)

Offline flemijackson

• PS Silver Member
Stringed instruments versus Pianos
on: September 09, 2020, 12:25:35 PM
I am new to this, yet I have an inquiry for all you old style music buffs out there. Do you favor the sound of stringed instruments, for example, the Violin, Viola, Cello, and Bass over pianos and related instruments? I have consistently love stringed and for reasons unknown pianos consistently solid like nails on a writing slate to me.

What is your sentiment?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stringed instruments versus Pianos
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 12:35:01 PM
It's unlikely that you'll find lots of people on a piano forum who think that a piano sounds like nails on a blackboard. I love the string sound (and play the viola as well as the piano), sure; the piano can sound harsh and unpleasant if played badly. A badly played violin won't lower your blood pressure either, though. Still, if you don't like the tone quality of the piano, pick a different instrument.

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 12:50:18 PM
I agree with Brogers 
I love well-played stringed instruments and also well-played pianos.
Sounds like you don’t need to pursue the piano in any form— playing or listening. Why you posted here on a piano forum is a mystery.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
I am new to this, yet I have an inquiry for all you old style music buffs out there. Do you favor the sound of stringed instruments, for example, the Violin, Viola, Cello, and Bass over pianos and related instruments? I have consistently love stringed and for reasons unknown pianos consistently solid like nails on a writing slate to me.

What is your sentiment?

I despise the sound of the violin, to the extent that I actively avoid listening to violin concerti.

In fact, that whole pack of strings in an orchestra sounds like a bunch of cats in an alleway puking up fishheads.

Then again, I hate 90% of the romantic-era piano music that many people seem to inexplicably favor as well.

The bull fiddle has a good sound, though, as does the cello, to a lesser extent.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 03:11:44 PM
I lifted the lid on my grand and saw a bunch of strings , I noticed it uses them I'm sound production when I play the instrument , my piano is a stringed Instrument. I like my piano, I like my stringed instrument. I do not like all stringed Instruments like a big bell where you pull a string to ring it. It is very loud ,I do not like that stringed instrument.  Generally not super fond of instruments that require accompanyment for "solo" pieces , that sort of defeats the purpose

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 06:03:18 PM
I love the piano sound if
a) The instrument is good b) The player knows how to use it c) The repertoire suits is

I absolutely cannot stand the sound of a violin.

There's no question that the most pleasant sounding instruments are (in no specific order) harps, theremins, flutes, cellos, electric basses, saxophones, fortepianos and Bösendorfers.

Offline keystosuccess

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 11:08:43 PM
I do agree, both pianos and string instrumens have their own appeal.

But if you want to hear a really strange (yet awesome) combination of the two, I really recommend listening to some Hurdy Gurdy (yes, that is a real instrument) recordings. If you've watched Carnival Row, you might recognize the Hurdy Gurdy from the soundtrack.

If I am in the mood for something different, I just listen to this and it instantly transports me to 16th century Ireland or something like that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert