Piano Forum

The ABRSM 2025 & 2026 – Expanding the Musical Horizon
The highly anticipated biennial releases of the ABRSM’s new syllabus publications are a significant event in the world of piano education, regardless of whether one chooses to participate in or teach the graded exams. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] F. Branco - Prelude No. 7  (Read 639 times)

Offline revanyoda777

• PS Silver Member
[Video] F. Branco - Prelude No. 7
on: September 16, 2020, 10:57:09 AM

Here's a performance of an oft-overlooked impressionist composer during Debussy's time. I've held Branco's piano preludes in high regard for years and decided to learn one of my favorites from the set. Let me know if you've heard of Branco and general thoughts on the piece and my playing. Thanks for giving it a listen!

Offline dogperson

Re: [Video] F. Branco - Prelude No. 7
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 11:45:39 PM
I was not familiar with Branco and now I’m a huge fan so thanks very much
Maybe I’m missing something since this is new go me, but Zi would suggest you check the phrasing and ask yourself if this is what you want

Another exercise for you to try: play the octave flats with 1-4 and white note octaves with 1-5 may make the navigation smoother

Thanks again for posting .  Really good job 😊

Offline revanyoda777

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Video] F. Branco - Prelude No. 7
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:03 AM
Thanks for listening, dogperson. I'm very glad you found a new composer you like!
Yes, the phrasing is how I wanted it, since I intended a delayed yearning romanticism for the middle section of the piece. There's another recording I know of that plays that section at double the tempo and is more straight-forward and I don't like it as much. Thanks for the octave fingering suggestion. I didn't find the octaves difficult with this piece (the left hand jumps were more difficult), but that is certainly good advice in general. Thanks, again!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert