Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Intermediate/Advanced Collections?  (Read 771 times)

Offline kaladin

• PS Silver Member
Intermediate/Advanced Collections?
on: September 25, 2020, 08:25:42 PM
Hi y'all.

I've been away from playing for a while, but excited to start again and looking to get some new sheet music. Are there any collections or books that you recommend that would provide a good balance of styles? Looking for something in the high intermediate/low advanced range.

Thanks!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Intermediate/Advanced Collections?
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 03:09:14 AM
Hi and welcome to Pianostreet,

Can you give examples of music you have played before, or music that you want to learn.

RCM publishes a graded series of books, which are excerpts from the official syllabus.  The syllabus is available online.  You could go with the books if you want a handy collection.  Alternatively, just look at the syllabus and source digital copies of the music from IMSLP, or right here on Pianostreet.

The ABRSM syllabus is also available online.

You could start with the Bach two-part Inventions, and three-part Sinfonias.  Bach is always good for learning many aspects of music. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline keystosuccess

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
I have a book with a compilation of Yiruma Songs that I really like, they are challenging but still easy enough (and they sound great when someone asks you to play  ;) )

Offline kaladin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 07:38:34 PM
Thanks for the advice! After looking through the RCM, I have played a variety of pieces through Level 10. So far, I've printed out a few Bach Inventions and ordered the Schirmer's Sonatina album to get my technique back up to speed. I've also printed out the whole Debussy Children's Suite (old favorite) and Moonlight Sonata.

My preferences are generally more towards Romantic/20th Century, but I recognize that putting time in with more technical Classical pieces right now will set me up for learning things I'm more excited about.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert