Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky - October Op 37a No.10  (Read 1180 times)

Offline meuphonia

• PS Silver Member
Tchaikovsky - October Op 37a No.10
on: October 06, 2020, 01:54:37 AM
I am self-learning piano pieces. It is very hard to find a piano teacher as I live far from the CBD. I want to improve but don't know what to do.
*Sorry for the sound quality. It is a bit noisy and flat.

Offline alex-plays.org

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky - October Op 37a No.10
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 04:20:37 PM

Bravo - Very nice indeed.  Have you also played June (Barcarolle) and / or Troika (November) ?   Both are lovely but I suspect that you already know that ;-)  Thanks for sharing.

Offline meuphonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:40:05 PM
Thanks for your comment. I haven't played both but wish to learn them.

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:18:53 AM
Very beautifully played. I really enjoyed that.

I think it would benefit from more dynamics (maybe you are doing more than is heard through the recording). And the balance between the hands could be even better - for the most part that's about making the left hand chords softer, but in places like bars 9-13 where the left hand has the melody it needs to sing much more.

A purely physical thing I was thinking about when watching is that you tend to raise your shoulder when there are jumps in the left hand. Maybe try to free the arm by sitting slightly more away from the piano, practicing the left hand separately with exaggerated arm movements but without lifting the shoulder.

Offline meuphonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:32:28 PM
@dw4rn
Thank you very much. Your comments are really helpful!! I will try to move my chair and find the right position. I only used my mobile phone cameras for recording this video so sound quality is not good. After recording this piece I realised that it cuts out the volume over certain decibel and make sound very flat. But how did you know all that? You must be a pro :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 12:57:36 PM
Nice playing.  The video editing is done very well with the score.

One thing you could do is work more with articulations and varying your tone.  Your tone is mostly legato here.  However, working with the various articulations indicated in the score, such as accents, tenutos, staccatos, as well as phrasing would give greater definition to the music.  It is similar to when speaking, we use inflections to draw attention to certain words in a sentence. 

Involve more of your whole body in the playing mechanism, rather than just the fingers. 

After recording this piece I realised that it cuts out the volume over certain decibel and make sound very flat.

Try to turn off auto gain in your recording device.  Auto gain is fine for speech, but not for music.  If your device allows manual gain, you will need to set it yourself.  Do this by playing the loudest part of the music and make sure there is no popping or distortion in the recording - the technical term used is clipping.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline meuphonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 05:01:33 PM
Nice playing.  The video editing is done very well with the score.

One thing you could do is work more with articulations and varying your tone.  Your tone is mostly legato here.  However, working with the various articulations indicated in the score, such as accents, tenutos, staccatos, as well as phrasing would give greater definition to the music.  It is similar to when speaking, we use inflections to draw attention to certain words in a sentence. 

Involve more of your whole body in the playing mechanism, rather than just the fingers. 

Try to turn off auto gain in your recording device.  Auto gain is fine for speech, but not for music.  If your device allows manual gain, you will need to set it yourself.  Do this by playing the loudest part of the music and make sure there is no popping or distortion in the recording - the technical term used is clipping.
Thank you very much for your informative comments. I really learnt a lot!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert