Piano Forum

Topic: Looking for name of piece  (Read 599 times)

Offline alyssmira

• PS Silver Member
Looking for name of piece
on: October 14, 2020, 07:48:18 PM
Hi,
I’m looking for the name of a piano piece that I heard in a concert a couple of years ago; would appreciate if someone could help me find it.

Some things I know about the piece:

• It was a contemporary/modern era piece
  • The title was related to the sea (“ocean”, “sea”, “waves” etc in name
  • It was around RCM 10 level
  • The piece involved gestures such as lightly patting the side of the piano to create an echoing noise imitating the sounds of the sea
  • It was very soothing throughout- not many heavy chords, or climatic parts like in Ondine
  • I am pretty sure the title was in English

If anyone has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline dogperson

Re: Looking for name of piece
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 09:16:03 PM
Look for the performer: on YouTube snd an internet search for his performances/reviews

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:32 PM
What country did the performance take place?  One way to narrow the search is to look at contemporary composers of same country.

Do you remember the venue?  There might be an archive of past performance programs for that venue.

Was the concert part of a series of themed concerts?  It would help narrow the subject matter.

Did the concert itself have a theme?

Report back if you do find the name of the piece.  I would be interested to know what it is.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline alyssmira

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for name of piec
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:57:42 PM
Unfortunately, I can’t search for it by performer... it was some kind of awards concert for young adult graduates and they don’t have the program of that year uploaded online.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:56:20 AM
What makes you say Grade 10 RCM?  Was there a group of performers studying at that level?

Awards concert, you mean like a showcase concert?  So it is possible that the piece was used for a previous event in which the performer was given an award.  Try searching for that event. 

So there were several young adult graduates.  Perhaps one of these people put their recordings on Youtube.  You don't have to find the exact piece, just a person that was there at the same time.  They might have a program, or can give you a lead to who the performer might be.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert