Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Prelude and Quiet Pond  (Read 690 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Prelude and Quiet Pond
on: December 08, 2020, 10:39:42 AM

A meditation. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Prelude and Quiet Pond
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:53:35 PM
Everything free piano improvisation should be, not a lot more to say. But what are its characteristics, properties in some sense invariant and independent of personal taste ? Do such universals really exist at all ? I am gradually inclining to the notion that they do, it is just that conceiving them to fit the moulds and imperatives of formalised composition is mistaken.

In this piece, I am struck by at least three features which endow the music with life. Firstly, there is what I can only describe as definition. Whenever a cell or idea occurs I am immediately aware that something new and meaningful is being said. Secondly, some notes, or more broadly features, are made more prominent than others. This sounds trivial but without it any music lacks a whole dimension. Thirdly. there is an independence of musical, and often physical streams, obviously in the matter of rhythm but also in regard to phrase and harmony, and there are some splendid harmonic moments in this piece.

Of course I am untutored in these notions and, in any case, have met too many players who substitute analysis for music to undertake it without disquiet. Nonetheless I wanted to try to go deeper than simply saying I like it and that bits of it remind me of Ives and Bridge, which observations tell no one anything useful.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:23:13 AM
I really enjoyed this. Some great moments, like after the 4 minute mark. In places it felt like an extension of late Scriabin. Also, beautifully recorded.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
beautiful, I like how you're theading on a delicate balance between dissonances and sweet melodic material. Many interesting moments, my favorites probably at 3:00/3:30 and 9:30/10:45

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 10:01:20 AM
Ted,

Thank you for your keen and detailed observations.  This was somewhat of a relaxed improvisation for me, start with a few notes and see where the music goes.  It was never intended to be a diptych, though as I was playing the music seemed to ask for a break.  It is fascinating hearing about how others hear these improvisations, and I feel as I learn something new about my own music making by taking in another perspective. 

You are observant and that is what matters, I don't think analysis is the exclusive purview of the formally educated.  Besides, I think of analysis as more a mark of interpretation.  Whatever it may be, your observations give me another glimpse into this captivating world of improvisation.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 10:09:16 AM
I really enjoyed this. Some great moments, like after the 4 minute mark. In places it felt like an extension of late Scriabin. Also, beautifully recorded.

Ronde, thanks for listening!  There may have been some Scriabin influence that worked its way in here.

I was trying out some new mic positions, and I do like the sound from this one. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 10:12:02 AM
beautiful, I like how you're theading on a delicate balance between dissonances and sweet melodic material. Many interesting moments, my favorites probably at 3:00/3:30 and 9:30/10:45

kalospiano, thanks for listening!

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert