Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Examining a score beofre starting to play it  (Read 951 times)

Offline joe falchetto

• PS Silver Member
Examining a score beofre starting to play it
on: December 12, 2020, 10:58:11 PM
I took piano lessons as a teenager and I was never advised to examine a score before sitting at the piano. I imagine my teacher knew both my skills and the pieces she assigned me so perhaps it was no so necessary. But I have recently started playing again and I imagine it is a skill I should pick up. So, a few questions:

- why is it important?
- is it recommended to do it even if tackling shorter pieces (say 2-3 minutes) or only for longer/more complex ones?

- Most importantly, how do you do it? What do you look for?

If anyone would be so kind to illustrate this going over an example I plan to start studying Mozart's Fantasia in D minor K 397 soon.

Thanks!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Examining a score beofre starting to play it
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 11:28:57 PM
so necessary. But I have recently started playing again and I imagine it is a skill I should pick up.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a necessary skill or technique, but I do it just because it's easy to read the music and sometimes work out some technical problems when I'm not at the keyboard. 

At the very least, it helps me remember a given piece of music, which is the way I prefer to play repertoire.  (That is, I prefer to just play music I know or have memorized, just because, while it's difficult to accumulate a lot of repertoire this way, I don't really like sight-reading at the keyboard....that's more an aide-mémoire, which is unfortunately sometimes required, but one sometimes uses these little crutches.)

If anyone would be so kind to illustrate this going over an example I plan to start studying Mozart's Fantasia in D minor K 397 soon.

That's an excellent example:  so, for me, I'm hearing the broad harmony from Dm and the minor plagal cadence, then at the final bit, in D maj, I'm mostly looking at the LH figure and remembering the melody.

If I were first learning the piece, I'd probably do some bits of work on the octatonic-based (dim W-H) scale bits, and if I felt fancy, try to imagine running those bits in thirds at the keyboard.  Maybe just try playing around with it by reading if I had a bunch of spare time:  you know, maybe transpose the piece or try to imagine some purely mechanical exercises I could do inspired by the piece.  Or, do some metronome-style rhythmic work, in a similarly abstract fashion.

There's really no limit to what you can imagine just reading an arrangement or score:  even better if you have a pencil and eraser. 

Of course, this presumes that you already know how to read, and how to play, and are familiar with your own technical or musical challenges.  Otherwise, reading out of a score away from the keyboard might be not meaningful. 

I don't know how to answer your other questions about the optimal length of the piece and so forth:  it's just a habit, really, when I have a few minutes to spare waiting for something or other.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert