Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Looking for a great deal  (Read 1591 times)

Offline mikemeg

• PS Silver Member
Looking for a great deal
on: February 03, 2005, 01:55:38 PM
Hello everybody.

This is my first post and I am new to piano playing so please be gentle!!   :)

I've been looking through past posts regarding clavinovas and have decided that these would be best suited for what I'm looking for (in terms of space, price etc). I was originally going to get the CLP120 from a local retailer as it costs £1000.00 which is pretty much at the top of my budget. However, when I look at some of the online deals (in particular rockingrooster.co.uk), I can get the CLP130 for about £950.00!!. I have read that there is quite a significant difference between the 2 so would rather get the better model if possible.

My question is this - How reliable are these online retailers for buying something as expensive as a clavinova and what is their after sales care like ie. if I had a problem in the guarantee period, what sort of service would I get to fix it.

By the way, the clavinova is for myself (a complete novice), my wife (Has some experience but not played for a long time) and eventually my young daughter.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me on this.

Thanks.

Offline Michele Felice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for a great deal
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 02:35:13 AM
I have not purchased a keyboard using an online source, but I have, with complete satisfaction, purchased other musical instruments online (from various US dealers) with a value several times 1000 pounds. I am talking about musical instruments which must be in perfect working order, which are advertised as such and so delivered. There are US websites dealing with such instruments (saxophones are one example) in which experiences with online dealers are reviewed in depth.

If you have questions regarding the reliability of a online dealer you will have to investigate the dealer using whatever means you have available. I would look to UK piano and keyboard websites. If the dealer is a large company which does a great deal of business on the web, it is very likely to be reliable (or it would not stay in business long). Do a little searching on the web and I think you will find the information you need. You can also telephone the dealer and see whether the dealer's representative can assure regarding your doubts.
Piano technician no longer active in the trade.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert