Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Sustain pedal not working on some keys. Please help!  (Read 3229 times)

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Sustain pedal not working on some keys. Please help!
on: January 31, 2021, 10:30:19 PM
Hello,
So I play on an upright piano, and it’s not old or anything, and the sustain pedal works fine, but the 3rd F# key and 3rd G natural key half doesn’t work and it’s super super frustrating. It’s like when you play them with the sustain pedal it the main sound doesn’t last any longer but there’s like a little little bit of a sustain. It’s super super annoying. I don’t want the tuner to come again since he came like 2 weeks ago. And it’s only on those two keys. I’ve tried adjusting the action on the pedal action but it solve the problem. How can I fix this? Please help!

Thanks,
Alex

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sustain pedal not working on some keys. Please help!
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 02:28:41 PM
Hello,
So I play on an upright piano, and it’s not old or anything, and the sustain pedal works fine, but the 3rd F# key and 3rd G natural key half doesn’t work and it’s super super frustrating. It’s like when you play them with the sustain pedal it the main sound doesn’t last any longer but there’s like a little little bit of a sustain. It’s super super annoying. I don’t want the tuner to come again since he came like 2 weeks ago. And it’s only on those two keys. I’ve tried adjusting the action on the pedal action but it solve the problem. How can I fix this? Please help!

Thanks,
Alex
Alex can you make shot video? Need show hammers and dampers there

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 04:45:13 PM
Alex can you make shot video? Need show hammers and dampers there

Sure, what part of it. Should I just take off the upper panel and take a video of the dampers and hammers? But, I think I know the problem because I took off the upper panel a couple of days ago to see what’s up. Basically, I’m pretty sure the string that pulls the felts to lift from the strings on those keys(F sharp 3 and G natural 3) doesn’t work. Like the little skinny rod pulling the felt to lift it isn’t pulling. I’m pretty sure that’s the problem. I’ll film it today.

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 06:08:54 PM
Sure, what part of it. Should I just take off the upper panel and take a video of the dampers and hammers? But, I think I know the problem because I took off the upper panel a couple of days ago to see what’s up. Basically, I’m pretty sure the string that pulls the felts to lift from the strings on those keys(F sharp 3 and G natural 3) doesn’t work. Like the little skinny rod pulling the felt to lift it isn’t pulling. I’m pretty sure that’s the problem. I’ll film it today.
if  it so, as you writes then there are 3 options there:
1 the spring of this rod has broken
2, the spring has jumped to the side (it will be visible) if you will shine use add lighting here too.
3 The wippen's spoon (  wich we not visible there) does not open rod damper for good condition,
waiting for your video,
good luck,

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 08:55:22 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the help. I have attached the video below. Its the the best I can do since the felts are kind of hidden but I really hope it will be helpful for you. Tell me if the video doesn’t work and how else I could upload it if it doesn’t work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JJ8h99cA_FxZCnp-bStOGy3B02GvSWMQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for the help,
Alex

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:17:11 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the help. I have attached the video below. Its the the best I can do since the felts are kind of hidden but I really hope it will be helpful for you. Tell me if the video doesn’t work and how else I could upload it if it doesn’t work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JJ8h99cA_FxZCnp-bStOGy3B02GvSWMQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for the help,
Alex

That one doesn’t work, how about these two?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETdVLO1JekYNAGozdg9Etwt5ZLLdBLBn/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZHrn3EIYUWOiGgFCXQPSwsbh13o4Jdiq/view?usp=drivesdk

The first one might not be useful but take a look and the second is pretty good and it’s the most I can get because the felts are really hidden.

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 07:46:27 AM
That one doesn’t work, how about these two?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETdVLO1JekYNAGozdg9Etwt5ZLLdBLBn/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZHrn3EIYUWOiGgFCXQPSwsbh13o4Jdiq/view?usp=drivesdk

The first one might not be useful but take a look and the second is pretty good and it’s the most I can get because the felts are really hidden.
sorry it's don't work.

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 02:08:41 PM
Ooops, I deleted the videos from my drive right after I shared the link with you. I restored them. They should work now. Sorry.

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 04:28:45 AM
Ooops, I deleted the videos from my drive right after I shared the link with you. I restored them. They should work now. Sorry.

I figured out your problem now. Your whippen's spoon does not drive "  the string that pulls the felts" to the standard position that damper must open whole a string. The spoon must be pressed to "  the string that pulls the felts" near more there . There is a special  steel rod for  regulation do this.
Option 1: take it somewhere (buy it)
Option 2: craft it yourself
Option 3: Remove an action from the piano.Stand hold hard (piano action) you don't drop it. Hold (it's wippen) firmly with one hand, with the other squeeze the spoon against  "  the string that pulls the felts" use a pliers
If you will decide to do it yourself, then shoot a video of the result of this, please.
good luck,
Regards, Max

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 06:10:18 AM

I figured out your problem now. Your whippen's spoon does not drive "  the string that pulls the felts" to the standard position that damper must open whole a string. The spoon must be pressed to "  the string that pulls the felts" near more there . There is a special  steel rod for  regulation do this.
Option 1: take it somewhere (buy it)
Option 2: craft it yourself
Option 3: Remove an action from the piano.Stand hold hard (piano action) you don't drop it. Hold (it's wippen) firmly with one hand, with the other squeeze the spoon against  "  the string that pulls the felts" use a pliers
If you will decide to do it yourself, then shoot a video of the result of this, please.
good luck,
Regards, Max

Thank you so much for your response and help, I think I going to get a technician to do it to be safe, but do you think you know the cause of this problem? Humidity? Am I playing the keys too hard?

Thanks so much for your help,
Alex

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
You did not understand, Alex . There is no reason for the humidity in your home. Do you play a lot of your piano, or even it stands idle here. Your wippen's spoons need to be bent to near strings more.
good luck,
if your technician comes, then remove little clip when he will bend that spoons.
Best regards, Maximillyan

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 01:52:02 PM
I was wrong here, sorry.
In your video, we can see that the damper( little skinny rod) on these 2 wire does not move away from the strings when it's must raised using  the sustain pedal. Whereas all other dampers work (move away from the strings) in the correct position. So the conclusion is that the wippen's spoons on these 2 dampers are also located correctly. It's don't need to be bent here. For some reason invisible to us, the lower part of the damper ( those keys(F sharp 3 and G natural 3) standing are farther than all the others from the rod of sustain, which raises ALL dampers.
I dare to assume that the felt on these dampers either peeled off  or was not there at all.

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:12:00 PM
F*ck. I’m scared to death. Do you think you might know the reason for felts on the dampers peeled off? Do you think it’s because of humidity?

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 07:05:15 PM
F*ck. I’m scared to death. Do you think you might know the reason for felts on the dampers peeled off? Do you think it’s because of humidity?
I'm think so simple human in music plant bad made his job. few drop glue was don't puted there. A humidity may be reason too.

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:12:18 PM
If you press these keys in normal work mode, then their damper comes off strings as badly as in the video where you use the pedal sustain only?

Offline ivorycherry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 08:47:44 PM
If you press these keys in normal work mode, then their damper comes off strings as badly as in the video where you use the pedal sustain only?

No, it works fine then. But, I have another unfortunate problem. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
The pedal literally doesn’t on any of  the keys now except the very lowest and highest ones. :( :'( I am devastated, for this is a rental I am using until I get my baby grand after I move. Because I am moving long across the country in a couple of months, my parents are too scared to buy one now because  they think the piano will get damaged from the move so instead I’m renting some upright for a couple of months. And I’m worried if the upright gets ruined, they force us to buy it, which would suck. A lot. I would never get the baby grand I want.

Do you think even a technician would be able to solve this problem?

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 05:12:09 AM
No, it works fine then. But, I have another unfortunate problem. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
The pedal literally doesn’t on any of  the keys now except the very lowest and highest ones. :( :'( I am devastated, for this is a rental I am using until I get my baby grand after I move. Because I am moving long across the country in a couple of months, my parents are too scared to buy one now because  they think the piano will get damaged from the move so instead I’m renting some upright for a couple of months. And I’m worried if the upright gets ruined, they force us to buy it, which would suck. A lot. I would never get the baby grand I want.

Do you think even a technician would be able to solve this problem?
As for your upright piano. If you only pay for it for 2 months under the contract of a rent, then it would not be wise to take ANY action to regulate its an action of it's piano.
As I see it from far Kazakhstan, your metal damper rod is located crookedly in an action, therefore it does not raise all the dampers one momently there.
But there is one more thing. There is an adjusting screw of a nut  (where the pedal in basement part of a piano). It's may been probably unscrewed. Try to turn it clockwise 2-3 turns. The paw of metal damper rod (an action) , which in the action should almost touch the wooden stick, which lifts it up has big gap there . Need to bring together it's ( metal damper rod (an action) and (wooden stick)
good luck,

Offline themaximillyan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 05:46:52 AM
And yet, I think that you need to build a clear policy of communication with the representative of the company from which you rent this piano.
1 I will not buy this under any circumstances now.
2 I have an independent opinion of a technician from Kazakhstan, who claims that there is a manufacturing defect in the mechanism, which cannot be eliminated only by adjusting works here.
3 I must to sue your company, which misled me, and thus I have the right to claim moral damages in the amount of 10 thousand dollars and more.
4 To come to a consensus of the contradictions of both parties ( where I and your Chinese company), I demand that the problem of the inoperative damper be eliminated within 3 calendar days (SOON). Otherwise, I file a lawsuit (see paragraph 2) and post the video on the Internet, where I demonstrate the problem and name the name of your company.
5 If ALL 4 points presented by me here are not fulfilled, then I terminate the lease just now.

Regards, Alex

Offline dogperson

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 06:02:45 AM
Hi Alex
As you are renting the piano, why don’t you Csll the company you are renting from and have them send a tech?  It doesn’t matter if the tech was just there.   A sustain pedal issue is just a malfunction, and not something you would have been done  through abuse.

I would never follow the advice above to send them a  threatening note nor mention the opinion of an internet tech in a foreign country.  Make it easy on yourself and make the call.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert