Piano Forum

Topic: Greatest pianist ever  (Read 5510 times)

Offline awpp7

• PS Silver Member
Greatest pianist ever
on: February 03, 2005, 09:18:52 PM
Who is the greatest piansit ever ?

Richter or Gilels ?

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Greatest pianist ever
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:06:49 PM
Liszt

or Tatum.

Peace,
Bri

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 10:13:05 PM
i'm sort of hoping wehaven't seen him/her yet :)

Offline silva

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 12:10:00 AM
Tatum

or Oscar Peterson

- Silva

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:45 AM
Claudio Arrau :) I just love all this playing, especially how he plays Liszt.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:41:35 AM
It's my girlfriend, no question whatsoever!

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 02:32:42 AM
Who is the greatest piansit ever ?

Richter or Gilels ?

don't you mean horowitz or rubinstein?  ;)
rach on!

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:59:33 AM
Claudio Arrau :) I just love all this playing, especially how he plays Liszt.

My great grand teacher, no less! :)

Arrau is cool, but I'm pretty sure Liszt is the best, seeing as he taught Krause who hand in hand taught Arrau.

Offline JP

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 06:14:07 AM

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 08:19:11 AM
possibly john rusnak
love,peace,hope,fresh coconuts

Offline rachmaninoff_969

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 10:39:43 AM
Liszt...

I don't think there is any question, even though none of us ever heard him perform.  The man could read anything at sight almost flawlessly, had massive technique (evident from his compositions), was in-tune with the modern music of his day, and well ahead in his own compositions (ie. B minor sonata contains the first 12 tone row) which makes him an even greater musician.  Plus he was good looking, charming, and had the showmanship to boot!  Also, it is evident from his compositions that he was not only a technical player, but one with superior musical intellect and expression.   I don't know of any other pianist who had all of these attributes to such a great extent.  Of course I do not mean to say that there are/were no other great pianists...but come on guys...Liszt is the God of the piano.

Offline Hamfast

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 11:22:06 PM
ok. i'm agree: If Liszt is the God of the piano, Chopin is his God.
The piano is an orchestra with 88...... things, you know.

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 12:51:41 AM
Ahh......but only Art Tatum had the nickname "God"

Peace,
Bri

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 06:08:37 AM
Richter is God. Or damn close.

Offline LVB op.57

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 10:33:47 PM
I still don't see how you can rate pianists you haven't heard. How do we know that in today's modern world, pianists wouldn't enjoy Liszt's playing. We know he could sight read anything, and we know he had technique to burn, but maybe we wouldn't like his interpretations of other composers' music. Or maybe his playing was mechanical. Or maybe he banged too much. We just don't know for certain. You must realize that technique is not what makes a pianist great. Tons of pianists have great technique, and as admirable as it is, it just won't end up seperating one person's playing from another at such a high level. I also don't believe there is a single "best" pianist.

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 11:25:25 PM
yes, there is no single greatest pianist, its very subjective.

however the only objectively assesable aspect of pianists is their technique...in this regard maybe marc-andre hamelin is the greatest ever.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 10:35:07 PM
yes, there is no single greatest pianist, its very subjective.

however the only objectively assesable aspect of pianists is their technique...in this regard maybe marc-andre hamelin is the greatest ever.

Can you contradict yourself a little more?

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 11:50:20 PM
i think its objectively almost impossible to disagree with me.

hamelin has it all, technique-wise.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 12:22:38 AM
The OP asks for the greatest pianist EVER.  You obviously forgot to factor in some dead guys.

But just to play devil's advocate, Ashkenazy has immaculate technique.  His double-thirds are extremely solid.

What I mean to say about contradicting yourself is this: you say it's "objectively almost impossible to disagree with" you, then you go and state your opinion that "Hamelin has it all."

"Has it all?"  That's probably the most SUBjective thing I've ever heard.  Give up, Lenny, you can't win an argument about subjectivity.  It's objectively impossible, as you would say.  Of course, you should probably try, because then your post count would get bigger.

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 12:58:47 AM
'has it all' referred to his complete technique, double notes, chords, octaves, and general runs.

he is more atheletically capable than any other pianist i have witnessed in all these techniques.

just as how its possibly to judge the better runner by the time he ran a race in, its possible to judge the greater piano technique by the speed and control with which he executes passages.

and when i say more capable, there actually is negligible difference between him and his closest competitor - libetta and cziffra possibly, its like comparing the fastest 100m runner ever with the 2nd fastest - very small difference.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 01:37:58 AM

just as how its possibly to judge the better runner by the time he ran a race in, its possible to judge the greater piano technique by the speed and control with which he executes passages.

No, Lenny.  Comparing pianistic technique with olympic events doesn't work.  If that were true, then whomever plays the fastest Winter Wind etude would be considered the best pianist.  But that, of course, is not the case. 

When you think of an OBJECTIVE (adj.: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations) way of measuring "control," let me know.  In the meantime, I don't buy it.

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 01:44:41 AM

No, Lenny.  Comparing pianistic technique with olympic events doesn't work.  If that were true, then whomever plays the fastest Winter Wind etude would be considered the best pianist.  But that, of course, is not the case. 

When you think of an OBJECTIVE (adj.: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations) way of measuring "control," let me know.  In the meantime, I don't buy it.

well, gavrilov plays the fastest winterwind etude with near perfect control, it practically shows that in the techniques that are intensively used in this piece - he is the greatest thats recorded it.

of course many pianists such as hamelin opt not to play as fast as possible, but their maximum speed can often be ascertained by the level of control and clarity they exhibit.

lets say he played winterwind equally as fast as gavrilov and yet with more clarity, he has the superior technique in the techniques required for that piece.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 01:55:39 AM
Lenny, you don't get it.

The definition of "objective," per Merriam-Webster, is "expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations."

When you say Gavrilov "has the best control," that is not an fact.  That is an opinion, otherwise known as a personal feeling.  That is not objective in the least.

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2005, 02:19:20 AM
its pretty audible

although the control is more arguable than raw speed i think it isnt very arguable.

is it not obvious that gavrilov plays with greater control than say ...cortot?

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 03:59:04 AM
  Yeah, but I still like Cortot's Winterwind better ;D

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 02:32:13 PM
I'll take Cziffra or Kapell overall, but going only by sheer technique, you'll be hard pressed to find a more perfected refined technique than Hamelin or Kissin.

And to be perfectly honest, I think Koji's bud Mei-Ting possesses technical ability beyond belief.  (If he could just eliminate those slippery finger mistakes)  :-D

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005, 04:59:53 PM
  Yeah, but I still like Cortot's Winterwind better ;D

koji (STSD)

Subjectivity at its best.  Some people say they would rather listen to Cortot's wrong notes than another Chopin interpreter's right notes.

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 01:33:49 AM

Subjectivity at its best.  Some people say they would rather listen to Cortot's wrong notes than another Chopin interpreter's right notes.

bear in mind that if they meant the wrong notes alone, then it would sound like schoenberg.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 06:07:55 AM
Call me when you decide on a point to that.

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 04:36:56 PM
Thanks for the great laugh.   Truthfully I think it would have to come down to a particular performance that was the best.  I once heard Bevery Sills say that she had exactly one performance where everything was perfect.  Did you ever hear this woman sing?  It seems to me that the response of the audience to a pianist is an important indicator ot their greatness.  After all music is a communication, hopefully from the gods.  I've had pieces move me to tears on one occasion and later not found them compelling.  There are so many factors in greatness, would you agree?

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 05:02:59 PM
you forgot felix mendelssohn, who is said to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest.

there is a story that liszt played some piece for mendelssohn, then mendelssohn came to the piano after liszt finished playing and played what liszt played JUST FROM HEARING! he remembered all the piece!

mendelssohn - the greatest pianist! (and composer)

Offline LVB op.57

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 03:58:15 AM
A feat such as Mendelssohn's does not make him the best pianist. What it shows is that he had perfect pitch and a phenomenal memory. Mozart and Beethoven were both able to do the same thing.

Offline rachmaninoff_969

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 09:03:24 AM
Oh how amusing!  Yay Liszt!!!

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 03:06:32 PM
you forgot felix mendelssohn, who is said to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest.

there is a story that liszt played some piece for mendelssohn, then mendelssohn came to the piano after liszt finished playing and played what liszt played JUST FROM HEARING! he remembered all the piece!

mendelssohn - the greatest pianist! (and composer)

Leonardo da Vinci painted a portrait of some chick named Lisa.  And then I copied it.  Thus, logic would have it that I am the greater artist.  Make sense?  Nope.   ::) 

I could point out a number of problems with your post (not with you; with the content of your argument), but please don't make me give the laundry list.

Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Offline magio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 02:35:38 PM
Richter,Arrau,Rubinstein,Horrowitz,Giels,Gould,Chopin,Liszt,Alkan,Rachmaninoff is a popular top-ten!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 06:03:37 AM
Always Liszt.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert