\"\"
Piano Forum logo

How many piecces do you practise at the same time? (Read 926 times)

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
How many piecces do you practise at the same time?
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »
Hii!

How many pieces do you usually practise at the same time? I'm unsure if I should work on just one piece at a time or many? How many pieces maximum should I be working on at the same time?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: How many piecces do you practise at the same time?
«Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:24:55 PM »
I don't think there's a straightforward answer to what you should be doing, but for what it's worth I'm working on three pieces (Mozart Sonata in Eb K282, Beethoven Sonata Opus 2 #1, and Brahms arrangement of Bach's violin Chaconne in d minor for left hand , plus a Chopin etude, and there are 4-5 other pieces that I've already memorized and which I play once in a while to polish them and avoid forgetting them. That fits into a 4 hour daily practice and leaves room for 40 minutes of technical exercises and 20 minutes of sight reading.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »
I find 3-4 new pieces to be optimal. You should certainly work on more than one piece at a time imo. I've felt that working on 6-7 pieces at a time to be ineffective for me, and 1-2 is too little.

Offline dogperson

«Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:40:02 PM »
Depends on: your level of playing, the length and difficulty or the music, how long do you practice!every day

Online getsiegs

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 10:13:26 PM »
I would agree that 3-4 pieces is usually best. It always depends on what you're practicing for, though. At the end of last year I went from practicing 5 pieces at the same time (college audition repertoire) to practicing only one (I started La Valse just for myself, and it was the only new piece I practiced for about a month straight). Now that auditions have been over for awhile, I'm going back to the 3-4 range (Schumann-Liszt Widmung, Scriabin Sonata 2, Rach Op 39 No 8, Ravel La Valse) since I feel like that's best for playing a variety of pieces without starting so many that you can't finish.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
It's difficult to give a definite number, but I find that there are diminishing returns to practising both too few and too many pieces. If I practise so many pieces I only have time to go through each of them once or twice, learning them seems to take much longer tha if I can work them over in various ways in detail. Sometimes, I can memorize something in a day or two if I can really work on it, whereas otherwise it might take over a week or more.

Practising just the same piece, on the other hand, gives diminishing returns because at a certain point more practise just doesn't improve the piece more, and then it is time to leave it for the day.

Offline lelle

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »
For a while when I worked on The Welltempered Clavier Book 1, I tried to work on all of them (24 preludes and 24 fugues) every day. It was a bit much and I don't think it was very effective for learning them  :P On a given day I seem to do the best when I work on 2-6 pieces maybe, depending on length and quantity of work needed. If some pieces are in maintenance mode I may play through some more pieces slowly.

Offline kittenyarn

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
Thank you so much for your answers!! And wow that's a lot of pieces  :o I think I will try maybe 3-4 pieces then, personally  ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
My brain cannot handle more than 3
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Way too many pieces at one time.

But that should be taken with a grain of salt, since classical music is a means to an end to me:  I'm isolating techniques that I find useful in other contexts, as well as improving general musicianship and knowledge of interesting repertoire.  That's what's important to me, rather than polishing a piece, which only has a small marginal appeal to me.

Yes, I do eventually try bring things to some kind of final form, but it's not always important to me to memorize works (although that's another technical goal I find useful).  It's more important that I solve technical problems as they arise.  As best I can.  Yeah, it gets easier, problem solving.

But mostly I just enjoy sight-reading different works:  sort of like a junkie, the dopamine high of discovering new and appealing works is quite a rush, even if I read something once or twice.  It all evens out:  the one's that stick in my memory as titles, I'll come back to them in an ad hoc fashion.  Read:  whenever I feel like it!  So, I'm mostly content if I can hack my way through a given piece with the score, in a way that could probably be mistaken for music, I hope:  like the old adage claims, "perfect is the enemy of good!"  In my case, anyway.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline jimf12

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
I think it completely depends - where you are in your development, goals etc..    I'm in my 50's, an amateur who has had a couple of long breaks from the piano in my adult life, and seek nothing more than to play the pieces I enjoy well for myself.   With that said, I do take my playing and practice seriously.    Given my new work at home routine, I have more time than I have ever had in my life to devote to it, and devote to it I have.

Here is what works for me.   I keep a spreadsheet that I update weekly (just started doing this actually).   I have four categories - Learning, Developing, Cleaning, and Maintenance.   I will have 1-5 or so pieces in each bucket at any given point in time.   However, rather than identify an entire piece I am working on, I identify a section where appropriate.   For example, when I am learning such and such, I'm never learning the entire thing.   At that point, I'm isolating a particular section, possibly as short as a couple of 4 or 8 measures.   So I put in my spreadsheet "Such and Such, measures 12-20".    Once a piece gets to cleaning or maintenance, it generally is the entire piece but not always.   

For cleaning and maintenance pieces I don't necessarily play those every day, but I'll make sure and hit them 3x in a week.    Learning and Developing items need to be worked on daily.   I spend 15-20 minutes per item.

I don't have more than two items in my Learning at any one time - that is the stage where I am figuring out fingering, getting my fingers to do what they are supposed to, getting up to speed etc..     I have found that working on a section until it's pretty close to perfect (perfect is perfect, but I can't always help myself and move on a tad early sometimes) is the way to go.   

So I may have, and generally do have, parts of one piece in various buckets.   I consider that two separate items of practice.   

But if I someone were to insist I give them a number of pieces I work on at the same time, my answer would be eleventy.

Offline roncesvalles

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
I generally am actively learning about 2 pieces at a time that I'll memorize in the short term, but then I like to have a longer term project piece that is more challenging for me to practice a little (either practicing a part that is difficult for me or learning a few measures), and I devote a little time to either reading through one of the next pieces on my list or focusing on a technical challenge in one or more of the pieces on my list.   So most of my focus goes onto the two primary pieces, a little specific focus into a piece that will be more of a project, and a little familiarization time with pieces that I'll soon attempt to learn. 

Right now I'm wrapping up learning on Scriabin Op. 11 no. 9 and Busoni's Op. 37 no 8, and I've just started learning Godowsky-Chopin Tristesse Etude for the left hand, which I'm learning and practicing a few bars at a time on the side (something I probably won't memorize for months but which gives a change of pace and a challenge).  My main piano goal this year is to learn a good chunk of Scriabin's Op. 11, so when I have time I read ahead and practice some of the more challenging parts of the set.  So my main principle is to learn two pieces at a time that require a different kind of pianism, to work a little on something difficult that focuses on something technical I want to work on (in the Godowsky I'm working on touch/layering and graceful arpeggiation), as well as keeping practice varied with pieces I'll soon work on in earnest.