Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: J.C.F. Bach Menuet in C Major  (Read 565 times)

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
J.C.F. Bach Menuet in C Major
on: February 18, 2021, 02:19:55 AM
Hi all,

Just curious about the right hand in measures 3 and 5.

compared with screenshot below

The first one starts with a c in the 3rd measure and the 2nd one starts with a g?

And the 5th measure is quite different in these scores.

Which one is "correct" or are they an earlier version and a later revision by this composer? Can notes ever be editorial?

Which one would you suggest I study?

Thank you, Joe.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: J.C.F. Bach Menuet in C Major
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:11:38 AM
That's a good one.  I'm not familiar with this piece, but I'd give a slight edge to the 3rd bar beginning with the C.

I don't really have a good reason, though:  it just sounds slightly better to my mind's ear. 

Could have been a printer's error, a different manuscript various editors used...hard to say without doing more research.

But, sure, absolutely an edition can (and often does) include variant notes, depending on the manuscripts consulted and the scholarly certainty an editor has about a given passage.  If you're lucky they'll include a note somewhere, like "MS. B 1781 blah blah blah," but perhaps not, as in this case.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:28 AM
Hi j_tour,

I have decided to use the YouTube version with the "C" in the 3rd measure.

The ornamentation is also different in these two scores. The screenshot has a mordent in the 6th measure and a turn in the 7th while the "SheetMusicPlus" version has a trill in the 7th measure.

In addition, I have seen the trill executed 2 different ways. One with a 4 note trill beginning on the upper note and another score with a 6 note trill which includes a lower note as well which I believe has some fancy name.

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:24:33 PM
I think you'll be fine if you go with the score with the video. I take issue with the trill being written out that way in the screenshot  ;D even if technically playing the trill that way is fine.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert