Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Current composers to follow  (Read 597 times)

Offline ignomike

• PS Silver Member
Current composers to follow
on: February 25, 2021, 10:48:22 AM
I'm a trained percussionist so I'm used to playing recently composed music and I try to keep it audience friendly as much as possible. Nowadays I play a lot of piano, Bach to Scriabin but I've got a hankering for new music. Considering how much more popular piano is I thought it would be easy but modern music searches for piano only brings up Einaudi or Cage - not my cup of tea.

Here's a composer I really like who does mostly perc music but also piano and other things:

I was hoping to find more similar stuff and was happy to discover Tigran Hamasyan but no more yet.
So where can I find all the interesting new compositions? Mixed media compositions are great too but I can't find any!

Also he recently released this monster, what do you think?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Current composers to follow
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 10:41:50 PM
So where can I find all the interesting new compositions? Mixed media compositions are great too but I can't find any!

It's a very good question! I know some "modern" composer names, but it's difficult to say if there is any one avenue where all interesting modern compositions are funnelled for easy discovery. I think the best way would be to get into the modern style composition community by attending festivals etc or finding facebook groups or forums where people in that genre hang out. There is a "composer" subreddit on reddit where people post their pieces, but this is more amateur composers and in a more classical/tonal idiom for the most part. The composers I know who compose modern art music seem to know about many more modern composers than I do - hardly surprising.

Some names of the top of my head - not sure if all of them have written for piano recently, but they have done piano pieces:
Philip Glass (recently wrote a piano sonata)
Kaija Saariaho
Unsuk Chin
Arvo Pärt
Steve Reich

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert