Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Improving / learning improvisation in Baroque pieces  (Read 503 times)

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Hi all,

I am a neophyte when it comes to this. Any tips on how to do this? Right now I just listen to YouTube, SheetMusicPlus videos as they tend to play repeats fancifully and in good taste. I then try to, by ear, incorporate these embelliishments.

I find that I need to know a piece exceedingly well when I do this spontaneously. And while I can do this, often my results don't seem appropriate.

For example, I have tried flatting 3rds,5ths and 7ths in my improvs. Nope, just sounds wrong.

IMO, less is more in terms of a performance, but for learning and experimenting, I figure why not just go for it!

When I say "less", I am referring to not only the frequency but as to overkill as well. Who was it who said, "Too Many Notes". Sometimes a mordent just sounds better than a turn.

I have found dotted rhythms also can sound funky. I have heard the last chord often arpeggiated which sounds alright to me but read in Busoni, "Such effeminacies are to be avoided". I guess my ear isn't so "period" appropriate.

I tend to improvise the right hand more so. Is that stylistically correct?

I was having a lot of fun with this the other day. I think I just got carried away. I was playing, "Minuet in Eb, H171" by C.P.E. Bach. This is such a beautiful piece.

It may only be a RCM Grade 2 List A repertoire piece but it's not so easy to play. But then again, it is a Bach piece. At least the fingering seems straightforward.

I think the more pieces with 3rds I study, the better I will get at them. I know from other pieces that I can manage these only so fast.

"Dance" Op. 27, no. 27 by Dmitri Kabalevsky comes to mind. The form of this piece is AA'BA with 3 "interludes". And with "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing" I proceeded to learn the difficult sections first.

Man oh man, was I ever so wrong. What I perceived to be the easiest section turned out to be the hardest. The "B" section starting at measure 25 had me completely fooled. A simple, one octave, descending G minor scale in the right hand against some left hand 3rds had me thinking no sweat. I should have known better with this being a RCM Grade 7 Etude in staccato 3rds.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improving / learning improvisation in Baroque pieces
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:31:58 PM
John Mortensen has a series of videos, and I think a book, already published or in the works, on how to learn improvisation in the Baroque or Classical style. Here is a link to one of his videos; from there you could find others if it seems like what you are looking for.

&t=4s

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improving / learning improvisation in Baroque pieces
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:02:24 PM
I second John Mortensen. There's been a revival in interest in partimento lately, which is a system which was used for improvisation during the Baroque period -- you might want to check out some books related to it as well.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert