Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Hesitant/unsure about repertoire  (Read 942 times)

Offline koreancucumber

• PS Silver Member
Hesitant/unsure about repertoire
on: March 03, 2021, 04:10:07 PM
Hi, I'm new here (:

Next year is my senior year and I have to give a recital, so I want to put together a really good program that's also meaningful to me. Sadly, I have this weird hesitation to attempt certain pieces that I would love to play because I feel they may be too hard or my hands are too small (farthest I can reach is an octave).

I'm thinking about playing Liszt 'Les jeux d'eaux ŕ la Villa d'Este' or Ravel Gaspard de la nuit, but I'm definitely skeptical of my ability to play the latter. I've played all of Ravel's other piano works which is why I want to "finish" in a sense by playing Gaspard de la nuit, because I love Ravel. Miroirs was really hard and honestly quite a painful reach for me at times. I've played a few pretty hard pieces with difficult reaches/stretches (i.e. Prokofiev Toccata, Schumann Carnaval, Jeux D'eau) but I feel like I might be setting myself up for failure if I try to learn these pieces if my technique isn't developed enough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hesitant/unsure about repertoire
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 11:25:22 PM
Hello and welcome! Gaspard de la nuit is hard but you don't need to be superhuman to play it. I'd be more concerned for the health of your hands if Miroirs was painful to play, though. You may have to work on developing a more supple and relaxed technique if that is the case, as I know my girlfriend plays Miroirs with her small hands (she can barely reach a 9th) without pain.

For my recital I would choose music that I love and feel passionate about practising and presenting. But I'd also want to be sure that I feel confident in playing the pieces technically. My worst performance experiences have all involved having to present music to an audience that I have not felt on top of :P You can always learn Gaspard later. But why not start working on Gaspard a bit, see if it looks like something you can pull off, and then decide?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert