Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: perahia's secret?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Clarinette

• PS Silver Member
perahia's secret?
on: February 04, 2005, 06:33:10 PM
     I know that Muray Perahia, Radu Lupu and Richard Goode use SCHENKERIAN ANALYSIS. But how? How can this be applied in piano performance? Do you think that you can notice from one's playing that he does this sort of analysis?

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: perahia's secret?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 08:28:36 PM
     I know that Muray Perahia, Radu Lupu and Richard Goode use it. But how? How can this be applied in piano performance? Do you think that you can notice from one's playing that he does this sort of analysis?

What sort of "analysis" are you talking about? What is "it"? What is "this"?
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Clarinette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 08:37:37 PM

What sort of "analysis" are you talking about? What is "it"? What is "this"?
It's hard to explain in a few words. "Introduction to schenkerian analysis" by Alan Forte and Steven E. Gilbert will answer your questions. I'm studying this book at the moment, so I'm not an expert in this, but I understand from an interview of Perahia that this helps him a lot and he became preocupated with this subject while he could not play because of his finger accident.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:45:38 PM

This question was posted in another area, and this was my response there:

"I never read that these pianists used Schenkerian analysis. It is useful for, among other things, to see the overall big picture, and shape of a piece of music - for example, large movements between tonic to dominant. To the extent that their playing shows that scope of understanding, and assuming that they indeed have analyzed the pieces they play using Schenkerian analysis, then I would say yes."

[edit]
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Clarinette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 08:53:59 PM

This question was posted in another area, and this was my response there:

"I never read that these pianists used Schenkerian analysis. It is useful for, among other things, to see the overall big picture, and shape of a piece of music - for example, large movements between tonic to dominant. To the extent that their playing shows that scope of understanding, and assuming that they indeed have analyzed the pieces they play using Schenkerian analysis, then I would say yes."

[edit]
Thank you for remaining so calm!!! You are very nice...I changed the title and I forgot to change the text. Why did you answer if you didn't understand?
Anyway, thanks!
 I was interested because my teacher sais that this (analysis) can make you play better and she has a very stupid idea of what this mean. I just wanted an opinion of someone that really knows about this.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 09:50:45 PM

Thank you for remaining so calm!!! You are very nice...I changed the title and I forgot to change the text. Why did you answer if you didn't understand?
Anyway, thanks!
 I was interested because my teacher sais that this (analysis) can make you play better and she has a very stupid idea of what this mean. I just wanted an opinion of someone that really knows about this.

I answered initially because I didn't understand what you were asking.

I don't think using Schenkerian analysis lets you play better. It might give you some insights into a different way of looking at the structure of specific pieces, and thereby enhancing your interpretation of those pieces.

I hope someone who has a deeper knowledge of Schenkerian analysis than me - having covered it in school about 20 years ago - chimes in with something more helpful.

Offline pskim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 12:56:27 AM
I also studied this while I was back in school not too long ago but I didn't quite understand it completely.  What it basically does is you look for the most important notes throughout the whole movement, if it's a sonata, or a piece, and basically chip away all the outer layers and you are left with a bare bone of the movement.  And usually you are left with just a couple of notes that are supposed to be the most important notes of the whole music.  Please correct me if I said anything wrong.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert