Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Prokofiev Sonata No.8 in B-flat, Op.84  (Read 944 times)

Offline lukejones1

• PS Silver Member
Prokofiev Sonata No.8 in B-flat, Op.84
on: March 16, 2021, 03:25:53 PM
Hi Pianostreet,

I would like to share with you my performance of Prokofiev Sonata No.8 in B-flat, Op.84. This recording was done live at a concert I gave in 2019 at Steinway Hall, London. I'd be grateful for any feedback positive/negative.

Luke

Link -

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Prokofiev Sonata No.8 in B-flat, Op.84
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:58:19 PM
Hey Luke,

I think it's a really good performance! It's difficult to come with detailed feedback because I don't know the piece very well. I think you are displaying solid musicianship and technical command.

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:36:52 PM
Hello,

thank you for the performance. I enjoyed it a lot. I think you achieved something that Prokofiev found important which is not to neglect the melodic qualities of his music. The tempo you choose in the first movement allows for this.
Who am I, but overall I would suggest that in some spots you could add some more (controlled) ferocity - I mean on a psychological level - to the interpretation. In the last 2 minutes you definitely show this but you could argue that there are spots earlier where this can also be applied. After all it is a "war" sonata.
Like I said a very nice performance. I enjoyed it thoroughly so please do not take this as harsh criticism. Indeed, It's just an opinion ... my opinion as you asked for it. Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Offline lukejones1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:49:04 PM
Hi Stringoverstrung!

I thoroughly appreciate the feedback! I welcome criticism, it's the only way to keep improving! It's definitely something I will consider when I revisit the work for performance, I agree with you that there was something lacking in terms of that 'sardonic' almost 'macabre' element you find in Prokofiev. I'm glad you appreciated the melodic elements, too often I find interpreters of Prokofiev overlook the operatic element of his piano music in favour of a more percussive, aggressive approach. I think at times I did play it a little too 'safe' in this concert. I wonder if the acoustic had anything to do with it subconsciously, I've always wondered how other musicians approach acoustical space, since for me it can transform my entire musical process, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. In this case, Steinway Hall in London is a very small space and the instrument is a Steinway Model D and sometimes I was borderline paranoid of making everyone, including myself, go deaf!

Thanks again, I will consider your comments with care!

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 08:27:05 PM
That's not
In this case, Steinway Hall in London is a very small space and the instrument is a Steinway Model D and sometimes I was borderline paranoid of making everyone, including myself, go deaf!

Thats not necessarily a bad thing. You can work to get across a ferocious character without relying on volume alone, while keeping the relative dynamic levels down. I got a - luckily rather mild - case of tinnitus probably from practising too loudly in a noisy room, would not recommend.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert