Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Song of the Good Friday Sunshine  (Read 689 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Song of the Good Friday Sunshine
on: April 02, 2021, 02:07:53 AM
While my wife was singing at her service I neglected my domestic duties and instead produced the long, uncharacteristic utterance of which this is the concluding third. There'll be trouble later ! I reined in my technique somewhat to better absorb the sound of a newly tuned piano, which is always a treat. I might have been influenced by one or two recent recordings by other members here, but I shan't say whose or which.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline kalospiano

Re: Song of the Good Friday Sunshine
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:20 PM
we've already talked about it and I know that you feel very much inclined toward this free-flow, stream-of-consciousness-like improvisation with never ending cascades of notes :) but I really wish some of the material you played in this improv had been further explored before being abandoned order to move to the next thing: for instance at about 1:03, 1:20, 3:03 and 4:28 some beautiful melodic material appears, but doesn't stay for long. Nice transition between 2:06 and 2:30. Some interesting, possibly jazzy moments at 9:30-10:00, 12:15-13:00, 16:13-16:40, 18:20-18:50 and at 19:35-20:10. I know that you don't like to go back on a improv a second time, but I think you've got many nice bits here that could be isolated, developed and transformed into full pieces each in its own right, and if you'll ever want to :)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Song of the Good Friday Sunshine
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 05:47:12 AM
Thank you for listening and taking the time to provide such thoughtful comment. I had to listen to it again as aside from broad features I usually forget very quickly what I play in the way of detailed cell content. However, certain ideas are liable to reappear in subsequent playing either consciously or unconsciously, although rarely as precise quotes. I privately term these ideas "attractors" and it seems to me most improvisers have them in one form or another. Some are close to permanent, some last a variable time and some are close to transient.

If you mean could I take one or two ideas and make written pieces from them then I probably could, but the tedium of writing even fair approximations to what I play takes the joy out of music making for me; I know because I have tried it many times in the past. If you mean could I restrict another improvisation to one or two ideas then yes, that would be a much easier task for me. The personal difficulty I have with it is an inability to reject anything because my own perception of quality vacillates so much from one listening to the next. In other words, one day I think, "Gosh, that is a really good bit" and the next day for the same passage, "Ugh, that bit is better forgotten". I keep wanting to insert spontaneous material, even when I play classical, which is likely in itself to exclude me from serious performance.

This does not detract from the validity of your suggestion, it is just that I personally would not enjoy doing it. Please feel free to use any of my ideas in your own playing though.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert