Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Loony Spring - My composition (E major and D sharp minor)  (Read 733 times)

Offline stylerpiano

Hello Everybody!

I composed a new piece. You know I'm an amateur composer / pianist, but I love to work with the piano. The spring has just arrived and this piece was written in the same time. I love that how E major and D sharp minor work together :)

You can download the sheet music here: https://lebersoftware.hu/music/Loony_Spring_Laszlo_Leber_piano_composition.pdf

Please feel fee to use this sheet music if you would like to play my piece.

I would be grateful if you can give me some advice / tell your opinion about the piece.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Loony Spring - My composition (E major and D sharp minor)
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 08:44:20 PM
Hey! I think it's a good piece and a fine execution of the style you are going for, played in a soulful manner.

In the sheet music, there are some spelling errors. In the D sharp minor section, wherever you use an F natural, it should be spelled with an E sharp, since it's an A sharp minor chord (the minor dominant) or a sometimes a C sharp major chord you are using. E sharp is a pitch that is available in the D sharp minor scale anyways, it's in the key signature.

There are also some instances throughout the piece where you are using a C natural that should be spelled as a B sharp since you are using a G sharp major chord (often but not always as a dominant to a nearby C sharp minor chord), for example in bar 16.

Another thing I noticed is that in bar 10 and analogous bars there is a B in the left hand on the first beat, but it sounds like you are playing an A.

Good job with the piece and make sure to post more!

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:13:49 AM
Hello Lelle!

Thank you for your helpful response! I will correct the sheet music's spelling errors. I understand it now, thank you! :)

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 07:18:05 AM
Another thing I noticed is that in bar 10 and analogous bars there is a B in the left hand on the first beat, but it sounds like you are playing an A.

Yes it's should be A :) Thank you again! In bar 13, 43 and 46 also.

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 07:41:15 AM
I made the correction of the sheet music. It's avaliable on the same link.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:32 PM
Looks good. There is one C natural in bar 16 you have missed, and the C naturals in bars 24, 32, 40 also need to be amended! (it's a G sharp major chord in all these locations)

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 02:00:03 PM
Oh, I see, thank you again! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert